Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

OX   Brie Brie   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   OX   Flameethrower   Greatballzofire   Flameethrower  
 Member  Message

OX
View Profile

Cute pics

I just thought that I would start a post on little fur or not so furred critters (I have a hairless rat)

My rat breeding has stopped for now. I know that I will pick it up again someday, but these are some pics of them while I had them
This is my group of males that I was growing up. They always loved to pile on this shelf and nap together.

One of the boys liked to curl up in the snack ball

The mothers were great. They would share the responsibility of raising the babies all the time. I know that it is a little messy, but I refrained from cleaning for a little while after the babies were born so that I didn’t stress everybody out. I had 5 females and several litters at almost all times. I miss all of these guys although I still have the father. He was just too sweet to give up.

The rats were on my screened in porch and I tended to get a visitor too bad for her though

Your turn, I’ll post more later
OX

10/13/09  11:52am

Brie Brie
View Profile

Message To: OX   In reference to Message Id: 2083406

Cute pics

OOOh I LOVE rats,they’re sooo CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!

10/13/09  08:44pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: OX   In reference to Message Id: 2083406

Cute pics

Aw, cute rats! I like your visitor, too. Very pretty!

Here are some pics from my mouse breeding days.

Crowded on cleaning day. lol

Stuart (daddy mouse) and his girlfriends.

11/13/09  06:21pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2095093

Cute pics

You guys have some real cuties!

The Mom & Pop petstore I trade mice for feed with has some hairless rats. They would need little sweaters knitted for them if they lived with me up here in the winter!

Some of my butterscotch babies:

This color does not breed true when mated with anything else so I broke a long standing rule and bred a butterscotch brother to his two sisters to get the gene strengthened, then I will out breed the young to other colors and see if I get any butterscotch. I took the male out after the girls both got pregnant, and am going to rest my girls for a month or so.

When bred to other colors the young are always big and vigorous. I hope the color comes through with the butterscotch babies.

11/16/09  04:17pm

OX
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2095956

Cute pics

They are all adorable! Unfortunately Chimp and Tobias ( the blue rats) died almost 2 years ago . I now have a big albino male (ex breeder) and a male hairless ! They are both awesome and very sweet! The hairless loves to be petted and I actually took him to a presentation that I gave to a middle school ag class a couple of weeks ago and I let the kids pet him as they were leaving and he just laid in my arms as if he were having the time of his life! He is such a ham

I’ll get some pics of them up as soon as I can, camera screen is busted so it is a little difficult to get good pics taken.

11/16/09  08:16pm

Flameethrower
View Profile

Message To: OX   In reference to Message Id: 2096036

Cute pics

Heres my setup. Producing 4-500 mice monthly and about 50-100 rats monthly.

01/03/10  04:38pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Flameethrower   In reference to Message Id: 2110428

Cute pics

Very nice setup!
What type of pellets are the bedding?
Also, what are those block like things in the middle of the two lower levels? They look like really huge rodent block.

01/11/10  10:01am

Flameethrower
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2112744

Cute pics

I use Pine pellets for the bedding

You can get it for 4-6$ and TSC in 40lbs bags. Smell is cut WAY down and you will love it.

the large blocks is just cut up 2x2 wood for chew blocks.

01/11/10  02:08pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area