Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mama42   Rasberries   Mama42   Cphill58   Mama42   Cphill58   Diluted13   Cphill58   Veronica _V  

Member  Message

Mama42
View Profile

What happened to the babies?

well, i know what happened. she ate them! )=

anyways, my rat just had babies the other night. i know she did, cause her stomach is a lot smaller and she made a nest. i took him out a few days before this, of course. so i know it couldnt be because of him.

why would she do this? i didnt think rats would. :/

and she was HUGE!

10/08/09  01:35am

Rasberries
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 2081658

maybe the babies had some defect or something.

10/10/09  10:32am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Rasberries   In reference to Message Id: 2082432

idk...i really think she knew i was going to take them. D: i put the male back in after him being with the other female. somebodys got to get preggers! >.<

10/10/09  01:57pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 2082500

Pam ...don’t the mommas need to rest for at least a week or 2 before being mated again ?? Isn’t it the best thing to let her build up her strength a bit??

Cp

11/10/09  10:42am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2093989

hey Chris...

yeah, i waited a bit. i usually give a week or two. my first post was actually posted late.

and she did get pregnant again. weird, only had 5. i dont understand...maybe theres something wrong with her. while all my other females ive had, had a huge litter around 15 or so.

the other female only had 9. and they were cage mates at the pet store, so maybe they are siblings. and theyre inbred. thats the only thing i can think of.

doesnt anyone post in here anymore? oO

11/13/09  12:56pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 2095003

Hey Pam,

I am now on my 2nd litter of rats ...they are cute ..but as it serves a greater purpose , I can’t be to attached. I have a male form calif. and a female from Utah... so the lines are quite seperate...nothing fancy ...just feeder rats that grew up and became pets.
The litters have been 15 and 16 each ..with a still born or 2 in the mix. Always a 4 week break for momma and I hold over a female for the future ...I have one now that is about 3 months old and ready to breed to daddy.

That makes me wonder...will inbreeding be an issue for food sources ?? I am not trying to raise champion rats ...just food. But still I don’t want to be frakenstein eithier...lol

Cp

11/14/09  11:32am

Diluted13
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2095265

To answer your question why ate the babies. Most rats/mice will eat the young if they think thiers something wrong with them. So its a good idea to watch the female the first week or so.

For the person above me. Most rats/mice in breeds already. If your using them as a food source they should be ok. Just make sure they dont got anything you can give to your reptile. Other then that you should be fine.

Here a site with some info on the little guys. Link

Look under animals for the rats info, they have 3 pages of info on them. I hope this helps anymore questions feel free to ask.

11/18/09  02:42am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Diluted13   In reference to Message Id: 2096461

LOL...thanks for the link ....funny comments to the website from others ....

11/21/09  01:32pm

Veronica _V
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2097350

Some of the people do have a point. It is not good to lift rats by the tail. I handle mine around the belly, with two hands. If they are snappy, I use good gloves. Holding them by the tail causes them unnecessary distress and probably a lot of pain. And no one should feed rats only blocks if they can avoid it, nor should a rat be housed in a ten gallon for a long period of time, it’s not big enough. I also agree that rats should not be bred back to back. This is strenuous on the female. Giving her time to raise one litter most of the way is much healthier. Just because I raise rats to be snake food doesn’t mean I don’t think the rats themselves deserve optimum quality of life as well.

12/28/11  04:38am

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area