Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Cherrykins   Cherrykins   Greatballzofire   Cherrykins   Cherrykins  
 Member  Message

Cherrykins
View Profile

In a sense, I have witnessed a miracle.

I came home yesterday in an absolutely terrible mood..When I walked into my house, my father told me there was something on the windowsill for me..I walked over to find a bag of four pinkies, baby deer mice. I asked him what he wanted me to do with them-surely not feed them to the snake? He said yes, that was it. I don’t feed my snake live, so I freaked out, and took them with me. I had no idea where to go with them, but as I drove, I turned into my petstore. I told the girl my story, and that I needed a wet nurse...I’ve only done this once before and the babies died. The girl, as compassionate as me, sold me a mother. When I got into the car, I put the babies in with the mother and they immediately started nursing. She began to clean them and cuddle them into her, and she has not been neglectful with them at all.
I just wanted to warm some hearts with this...it surely warmed mine. The babies are plump and always attached to mommy’s side. I intend to keep them, despite the amount of pets I have. :)

09/23/09  12:51pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2075347

Uhg, I spoke too soon...she ate one. Just one, so far anyway...I found a piece of ribcage and two feet...would there be any reason she’d take one out?

09/23/09  01:03pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2075351

How I foster babies to a mama; I get a mama with young as close to the same age as possible to the intended fosters. Then I rub the fosters with dirty litter from the mama’s nest, then insert them into the nest with her other young, usually just tucking them in under her own litter when she is out of the nest, so she doesn’t see me disturbing anything.

Taking a mama away from her own young and putting her in with strangers with no familiar smells is rather chancy.

09/23/09  05:14pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2075492

She’s taken to the three well. The mama mice the petstore has they use to breed and breed and breed...so I think she’s, in a way, waiting for me to take her babies. Mama and babies are going to live with me, though. No more babies for her. :)

09/24/09  12:39pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2075928

One of the babies isn’t doing well. While the other two have a nice coat of fur, one is very skinny and has none. His skin looks dry and flaky. I don’t know what to do? I know she has to be feeding them, otherwise the two wouldn’t have fur yet...what’s going on? Could he be too weak to eat?

10/02/09  08:24am

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area