Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Jynxer50   Greatballzofire   Jynxer50   Van_jen2005   Greatballzofire   Rattaleo   Jynxer50   Jynxer50  
 Member  Message

Jynxer50
View Profile

Rats on wire?

Hello all, I was just wondering if I can use my tank topper that I have for my rats. It sits on top of a ten gallon tank, and the wire on the bottom is 1 inch by half inch. Would this be too much of a space for my rats feet? Could they be injured? If so, are there any safe alternatives that I could lay over the wire? Thanks so much!

Jake

PS. My girlie had 5 pinks today. Adorable!

09/13/09  10:23pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Jynxer50   In reference to Message Id: 2071416

Rats on wire?

I’m not sure how you mean to use the tank topper. Are the rats going to be able to walk on it like a floor or are you using it as a lid to keep them in? If as a floor it would be most uncomfortable and could hurt them. You could cut a piece of laminate to size to go over the wire, so their feet would not go through the wire. They would probably gnaw on the laminate, though. If it is used as a lid it would not hurt them to climb around on it.

09/14/09  08:32am

Jynxer50
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2071512

Rats on wire?

It’s a wire cage that sits on top of a ten gallon tank. A ramp goes up to the wire floor, so it’s like two levels. I’ve used it for gerbils. If my rats were potty trained, I’d lay fleece over it, but with my boy, it would get very disgusting, very quickly.

Jake

09/14/09  09:01am

Van_jen2005
View Profile

Message To: Jynxer50   In reference to Message Id: 2071521

Rats on wire?

put a peice of cardboard down on the floor that way if they chew it, it wont hurt them

09/14/09  01:49pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Van_jen2005   In reference to Message Id: 2071614

Rats on wire?

I forgot about cardboard. Cheap and they love to tear it up. It cant hurt them, either.

09/14/09  11:18pm

Rattaleo
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2071879

Rats on wire?

I used to have my rats on one of those - I think they’re very handy. As long as you have something to give them relief (like the cardboard mentioned above) it should be fine. I used towels - because it was easier to "mold" into the shape instead of cutting it and it’s reusable. Having litter trained rats is helpful. :)

Having a tank topper is basically the same concept of regular cages, except the bottom comes up a lot further. :)

And a word of advice - before I got my girls litter trained - the outside of the tank got covered in pee from the topper overlapping the tank.. So beware!

09/15/09  06:23pm

Jynxer50
View Profile

Message To: Rattaleo   In reference to Message Id: 2072237

Rats on wire?

Wow, thanks! Do you have any helpful tips on potty training? Even if its difficult, I think it’ll be worth it in the long run. Thanks.

Jake

09/16/09  06:03pm

Jynxer50
View Profile

Message To: Jynxer50   In reference to Message Id: 2072601

Rats on wire?

What I ended up doing was breaking up a box so it laid flat, then I laid that on top of the wire. He only has to walk on the wire up the ramp and immediately on the other level, then he’s on the cardboard. He also has a fleece hammock and a ladder that I made him :)

Jake

09/18/09  09:32am

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area