Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Glug33   Fairy Frog Mother   Van_jen2005   BooByVu   Greatballzofire   OX   Diluted13   Yeff-A-Doodle   Yeff-A-Doodle  
 Member  Message

Glug33
View Profile

What about the SMELL?

I recently starteded breeding mice,I have 6 in a 30gl tank. I clean twice weekly but they stink! I found this stuff called Bi-Odor that you add to their water and its supposed to be an internal waste & urine deodorizer. This stuff is for rabbits and small animals. it worked for a week or two but now they smell again. What else can I do????

08/23/09  06:16am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Glug33   In reference to Message Id: 2062220

What about the SMELL?

I wouldnt give anything you are going to feed your snake anything like that.

Mice, especially males, stink. Frequent bedding changes and cleaning their tanks with Vinegar and Baking soda or a light bleach solution then rinsed really well is the way to go.

I assume you have them in separate enclosures for 1-2 mice each? Mine get stinky too. Specially the Males.

08/23/09  10:33am

Van_jen2005
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2062284

What about the SMELL?

they just stink you just have to keep cleaning i have only two mice and clean almost every other dayand i just use hot soapy water or bleach and water to clean there tank

09/02/09  01:32pm

BooByVu
View Profile

Message To: Van_jen2005   In reference to Message Id: 2066676

What about the SMELL?

Hey. I have found a solution kinda. First someone suggested using pine pellets. they smell great even after 3 weeks but the thing is that they become powdery and kill babies. Now I use cat little type thing you can buy from walmart for 7bucks for a big box. Just layer a bit at the bottom of the bedding. It will clumb liquids and it contains deorderizing blocks that will help with the smell. I think its called Super Scoop by Arm and Hammer. It has baking soda in it already too. Has helped me out some. Also I use plastic tubs to breed my rats so cleaning is a bit faster.

09/20/09  09:58pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: BooByVu   In reference to Message Id: 2074319

What about the SMELL?

I use the Special Kitty WalMart brand clumping cat litter which comes in a 28 pound box for about 7 dollars, but only for my cats.

With my mice, I just use America’s Choice Pine Shavings, and put about an inch in a tub, and wash the tub about once a week. The male mice have a pheromone in their urine that is the main odor culprit so if one can reduce the number of males that really helps. I would be leery of using clumping cat litter with mice as the mice will eat or nibble on almost anything one puts in their habitat. I also keep my mice in a building separate from my main living quarters, with ample ventilation. Mice will smell no matter what one does, but cleanliness and ventilation go a long ways in controlling odor.

09/21/09  10:13am

OX
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2074466

What about the SMELL?

It could also be the food. I have heard that the higher the protein content the more the smell. At least that was the way it was with my rats. Changed the diet, and they don’t smell nearly as bad.

I have also heard that you could put a couple of drops of bleach in their water to help with the odor, although I have not tried that one. I don’t think that it will harm them at all though, some people will even put some bleach in horse water troughs to keep algae down.

11/18/09  09:26am

Diluted13
View Profile

Message To: OX   In reference to Message Id: 2096509

What about the SMELL?

CareFresh bedding will cut the smell and cleaning down alot and its safe for all animals to use. The problem is buying it, its kinda of pricey. I used it for my rats (4 in a tank),mice (6),Guine pigs(3), and other small animals. I din’t have to change it that much. The smell never was thier when I used this stuff, I just changed cuss off the bathroom usage.

11/18/09  01:17pm

Yeff-A-Doodle
View Profile

Message To: Diluted13   In reference to Message Id: 2096559

What about the SMELL?

I have 4 mice, two in each cage, (2 female that arent breeding together, and the one male with the one female. I breed them for my snake)

I used to use the Carefresh, but it smelled God-awefull after a day. Im not able to change it EVERYDAY, but i can every few days. I found some wood shavings for small animals made of pine and fir. No smell what so ever. They make nests and they love burrowing in it. I also noticed that the mice dont smell like pee or musk any more. Probably beacase the bedding smells good, and it clumps, so they go to the same spot to go to the bathroom, instead of doing it randomly and being in it. Its also 7 dollars for 19 dry, compacted quarts, as opposed to 6 dry quarts of Carefresh for 20bucks. It lasts forever! (Its also a good insulator, and keeps them warm withou too many gaps between bedding chuncks. and I can use lessssss.)

12/11/09  08:30pm

Yeff-A-Doodle
View Profile

Message To: Yeff-A-Doodle   In reference to Message Id: 2103802

What about the SMELL?

Ok, sorry. I just found out that pine and stuff isnt good for their lungs. Will be changing that tomorrow! But Aspen is still really good, cause the paper beddings seem to soak up the pee and and stay wet.

12/11/09  10:34pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area