Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Ash104   Greatballzofire   Ash104   Greatballzofire   Ash104   Bearded_dragon_0   Greatballzofire   Ash104   Greatballzofire   Ash104   Ash104   Ash104   Ash104   Bearded_dragon_0   Ash104   Greatballzofire   Ash104   Greatballzofire   Ash104   Greatballzofire   Ash104   Ash104   Ash104   Greatballzofire   Ash104   Ash104   Ash104   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Ash104
View Profile

Two Pregnant Ratties

Well Chrissy and Layla are pregnant and in my years of rat expirience I have never had a pregnant rat. I have read many things about diet, bedding, separation and such but nothing about cage size. This is the one thing I need to know, and of course it wouldn’t hurt to give me a few tips as well since I really don’t have any expirience with babies.

Once my rats give birth, I will need to start finding homes for them! If anyone on here is wanting rats near Franklin, MA, please send me a message!

Thanks a bunch!!!

--Ash

08/02/09  10:32am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2049513

Two Pregnant Ratties

Link
The main thing with rats and mice when they have young is to not disturb them any more than is necessary to tend to their food and water. They like to have a little nest box to birth and nurse the babies in.

08/03/09  08:09am

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2050009

Two Pregnant Ratties

thanks and most of what i rad said that you should not put a nest box in because its hard to check up on the babies...but many things also said it was good to have a nest box to make the mother feel safe and cozy.

But i have a problem. My rat looked like it was going to have her babies last night, and if not then tonight. She is extremely huge and nesting, and she lays on her side a lot. Well she didn’t give birth last night, and now you can even see little bumps on her belly. She, as of this moment, looks like she is going to be going in to labor any time, and we just encountered a major problem.

The cage we put her in is all plastic with a metal bar cover. The cover kind of curls in the front, down to latch onto the front of the cage. When the rats were young, they could easily fit through the bars, but since then have grown so much. Not to mention the giant prego bellies =) . So now we have the boy in a wire cage with a plastic bottom, the less- pregnant looking/smaller one in a glass tank, and Chrissy, the giant, in the plastic/wire topped cage.

I walked in about 20 minutes ago and found that Chrissy had, like she did in the past, jumped up and hung on the the bars. I have watched them do this before. Then, but I really dont know how, she pulled her and her pregnant belly up and squeezed through the bars. Now I have her on my lap, sitting here ready to deliver any moment. HELP!!!!

08/03/09  08:03pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2050348

Two Pregnant Ratties

Well, by now she has probably had her babies. Anyway, a nest box for mice and rats that I use is a four sided cardboard square with no floor, and a lid that sits on top of the four walls. The floor has bedding. When I want to look at the interior of the nest I lift off the roof. If the rats tend to knock the roof off one can tape it on one edge to make like a hinge. I make an entrance hole in one of the walls, although the animals will also make their own doors.

08/03/09  09:06pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2050393

Two Pregnant Ratties

thanks and I found a way to cover the top completely (though she can breathe =] ) so she cannot escape anymore. And I put a small box with a lid that i can take on and off in her cage. thankya for the idea!

-ash

08/03/09  09:27pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2049513

Two Pregnant Ratties

I hope they have some good litters. My mice don’t seem to like to take care of them and instead eat them. I don’t know if rats are the same though.

08/04/09  09:07pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2051071

Two Pregnant Ratties

Has she had her babies yet?
I’ve currently got mice. Once in awhile I get a young mama who kills part of her first litter; usually I can foster the survivors to a more experienced mama who has young about the same age. This doesn’t happen often. My mice are VERY prolific! LOL! I have had to get more snakes to eat all the mice. That is as good an excuse to get more snakes as I can think of.

08/05/09  05:04pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2051581

Two Pregnant Ratties (now only one!)

Chrissy had her babies a few hours ago! Yay! But about how long should I wait before checking on them? Many sites say 24 hours but some say you don’t even have to wait.

-Ash

08/06/09  05:59pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2052220

Give her at least 24 hours, preferably 48 hours, and wait until she has come out of the nest box to eat, then steal a quick peek. Don’t touch them.

08/06/09  07:54pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2052294

Thanks!

08/06/09  08:24pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2052318

We have 12 confimed babies, but we didn’t was to disturb the nest so we didn’t really get a good look. All look healthy and have been eating well!

08/07/09  11:58am

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2052628

Layla just went into labor. But she keeps walking around the cage and scattering the babies everywhere...is this bad?

08/07/09  12:48pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2052658

Ok nevermind she picked them all up and put them in the nest!

08/07/09  01:02pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2052666

Very cool. I have some mice that are going to have babies soon. Hopefully they don’t eat the babies this time.

08/07/09  02:05pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2052703

Two Pregnant Ratties (now none!)

We have about 22 baby rats! Chrissy seems very calm with me being around her babies, and she even picked one up and moved it closer to me when I was feeding her! Everyone’s doing good!

08/07/09  08:41pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2052856

That’s sweet! I’m glad maternal life is working out so well for you and your rat mamas.

08/07/09  08:45pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2052859

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Chrissy isn’t taking care of her babies! She chewed a hole in the side of her cage and escaped. Well we got her back in, and then she got out again with her babies! We got them all back in and realized that one’s leg got skinned!!! All of the skin from his upper thigh down to his foot is peeled down, and he’s just dragging that foot behind him(they started to crawl)...he seems fine otherwise. He still crawls and acts like the others, and the cut isn’t bleeding anymore...it didnt really bleed at all actually. But after they were all back in, she got out AGAIN! So we put her back in and went to walmart to get a tank. When we went up to get her in the tank, we found one very cold baby barely moving and looking very hungry in her cage. We couldnt find the others, or the mom! Just then my friend looked in between my window at the small gap filled with fiberglass. Sure enough, miss chrissy poked her head out. All of the babies, minus the ones that she abandoned and are now being taken care of by Layla. She adopted 2 of the babies before this all happened because Chrissy wasnt doing a good job at taking care of them and they hadnt eaten in a long time. Anyway, we were able to pull the frame off my window and get them all out, and Layla took one more because Chrissy left it there alone. So now Chrissy is trying to figure out a way to escape the aquarium and she hasnt paid attention to her babies in a while. We dont know what to do...Layla is willing to adopt but she cant take care of all of them if Chrissy leaves them! =( what to do...what to do....

08/11/09  08:25pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2055126

It’s obvious that Chrissy does not like her cage. Can you set up some sort of arrangement where she can "escape" into a different cage? If she is abandoning her young, though, it would probably be best to let Layla have them all. You can help Layla by hand feeding the adoptees with an artist’s paint brush with a pointy end dipped in kitten milk replacer . She will add her milk and also clean the babies, and do the other mama chores.

08/11/09  08:54pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2055145

Ok well we put chrissy in a new aquarium that she cannot get out of, and she now has nothing to do but take care of her remaining babies (since 3 of them are now Layla’s).She is taking care of them, but i am still worried because she occasionally abandons one, although i always put it back with her. I dont want to rush introducing the babies to Layla (if i have to) because she might not take them all. We tried putting a few in with her at the same time but she only took one so we had to put them in one by one.

08/13/09  05:15pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2056325

One good thing about rats is the babies grow fast, and in a few weeks will be eating solid food.
The mama may do better with her second litter. It is a common occurrence for mothers to move their litters right after birth. I’ve had cats and dogs do this routinely. They want to get away from the birth smells, which may attract predators to the nest.

08/13/09  06:55pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2056394

oh no...

Neither Layla or Chrissy will take care of the sick baby, and he’s getting super skinny. I know that there’s not a lot i can do, but i dont want to just sit and watch it die! I dont know what to do...

08/14/09  08:22pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2057146

AHH!!! I dont know whats going on with him, but the little guy with the hurt leg is doing something worrying. I searched replacement baby rat food and most of what i read said to mix 1 cup water, 1/4 tsp salt, and 3/4 tsp sugar and feed them that with a paintbrush. I did everything it said but he ate a little bit and just stopped. Then he started acting funny like he was gasping for air, and when he stopped doing that he started breathing real loud. every time he takes a breath, you can hear almost like a clicking sould in his chest, like he inhaled water or something! Im really worried about him, and i doubt he will survive...but i cant sit here and watch him die! =(

08/14/09  10:04pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2057219

awww the little guy died this morning... Chrissy’s arent looking too good, all of them are getting skinnier every day. =(

08/15/09  12:06pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2057481

Chrissy may not be lactating, hence her babies are starving. I wouldn’t breed her again, just keep her as a pet.
You may have to euthanize the ailing babies to end their suffering, if you can’t either foster them to the other mama or hand feed them.

08/15/09  05:53pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2057737

Well she cannot get out now, and she’s feeding her babies more. Before she was too busy trying to get out that she didnt feed her babies. Layla took a few more and Chrissy is actually feeding hers now, so things will hopefully get better!

08/15/09  06:04pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2057749

Everything seems to be doing fine with her new cage here! All of her babies are getting bigger and healthier! Its great that they recovered like this...they were looking terrible last week.

08/19/09  10:20pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2060615

AHH OH NO!

Theyre dead! Layla’s babies died!! She tried to wean them too early and all but 2 girls died!!! Chrissy is doing great with all of her babies, and the 2 girls are looking ok. Theyre very skinny, but I think we got there in time because they are eating VERY well. One was dying when we found her, along with another little boy. The boy died shortly after, but she started moving around and eating. Now she is acting just like the other babies, and eating like them too! But I dont understand what happened...we think that she stopped feeding them but they all seemed perfectly fine yesterday. All on the skinny side, but they were all happy and hyper. None of them were sickly looking, and definitely acting normal. One had died two days ago, but the others were doing good. It was very strange, because he didnt look like he was hungry until that night. Maybe it was a disease that spread to them? Layla is doing great, and so are the remaining girls, but I had noticed Layla stopped feeding. Chrissy’s are very fat (like a normal baby rat, not overly fat) and havent been anywhere near the other babies. I dont think it was a disease, but I dont want to take any chances. What should I do with the 2 girls? They eat solid food now, but is that enough to keep them alive? I think Layla was pushing them around, not feeding them and keeping all of her food to herself, so that none of the babies got any food. Now the 2 that lived are eating rare steak, bread, cooked egg and dry cat food. This is something that we have given to our rats many times because steak, cat food and egg are high in protein, and the bread is easier for the younger ones to eat. I dont know if they can survive on that, though. I dont know what to do!

09/04/09  03:02pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Ash104   In reference to Message Id: 2067661

AHH OH NO!

Sorry to hear about Layla’s babies dying.
The steak and eggs and cat food, et cetera diet may actually be not the best thing for rats. I’d go with a quality lab rodent block and plenty of fresh water, and a cuttlefish bone to gnaw on and for calcium. That is what I give my mice and they are thriving, making gobs of babies. I also give them oat groats.

09/06/09  10:58pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area