Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Bearded_dragon_0   Greatballzofire   Bearded_dragon_0   Greatballzofire   Bearded_dragon_0   Greatballzofire   Bearded_dragon_0  
 Member  Message

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Mouse Cannibalism

Why do mice kill each other? I have had 4 mice die and they were all half eaten. They have plenty of food and water. I had 1 mouse eat all of her babaies. Is there a reason for this?

07/17/09  03:45pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2040939

Mouse Cannibalism

Mice are nervous little creatures who are very sensitive to their environment. They can’t see well but have acute hearing and excellent sense of smell.
things that cause cannibalism:
1. Inexperienced mamas will sometimes kill their young. If she kills the second litter, make her snake food.
2. Overcrowding
3. External threats such as loud noises, dogs or cats or other animals sniffing around the nest tubs, too much disturbance by the keeper.

Match up a group of sisters to an unrelated male, put them in a big enough cage, give them a little nest box to feel cozy in, and you most likely will have good results. They also like dim light.

07/17/09  11:16pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2041131

Mouse Cannibalism

They have normal lighting (a few windows) in the room. I used a couple cage size calculators and I was below the recommended number on both of them. Should I separate the ones that keep killing each other? The only disturbance they have is a fan to keep them cool and me checking on them a couple times a day.

07/20/09  06:35pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2042356

Mouse Cannibalism

By all means separate the ones that keep killing the others. I’ve had some meanies that did fine by themselves, raising big litters successfully in their own cages. I have one mama named Bully who gets along with her mate, but not with any other females. She makes beautiful babies so is a keeper.

07/21/09  09:27am

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2042620

Mouse Cannibalism

I am now going to breed rats instead of mice. I talked to a local breeder and they said they are having a hard time with mice. I got 1.4 rats and 1.2 ASF Rats and I am going to slowly feed off my mice and replace them with rats. BTW I have 2 or 3 more mice about to give birth so I might keep a few.

08/20/09  08:36pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2061112

Mouse Cannibalism

Good luck with your rat project.
I have heard that the African Soft Fur rats tend to be very feisty. especially in defense of their young, and will not hesitate to bite the hand that feeds them.
Regular rats are very intelligent; it is a shame to have to feed them to snakes, but then we eat pigs, which are also smarter than dogs.
Rats can gnaw out of cages that mice can’t.

08/21/09  01:18pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2061514

Mouse Cannibalism

I’ve already been bitten twice by the ASF’s, so yes they are very feisty. I check everyday for chewing and I have had the rats chew right threw the screen but luckily they didn’t leave their cage. And when I had pet rats I taught them to climb up a latter and jump into a pool of water. I like them a lot more than mice.

08/22/09  11:15pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area