Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Cherrykins   EvilTrailMix   Cherrykins   EvilTrailMix   Cherrykins   EvilTrailMix   Cherrykins   EvilTrailMix   Cherrykins   Greatballzofire   Cherrykins   EvilTrailMix   Cherrykins   Cherrykins   Greatballzofire   Cherrykins   Greatballzofire   Cherrykins   Greatballzofire   Cherrykins   Cherrykins  
 Member  Message

Cherrykins
View Profile

Raising orphans!

I came across a litter of deer mice...I can’t leave them outside, due to not only the amount of hawks that would happily pluck them up, but also my dogs are a huge threat, so I’ve taken them under my wing. They’ve got their eyes open, all their fur, very mobile (but hiding at the moment). Just a few questions. Can I swap their nest out or will they find comfort in it? We all know how gross a mouse nest is. :P And I’d venture that they’re about 2 weeks old...should I continue to bottle them? The last little I raised were pet mice, and I ended up buying another mother for them, but I don’t feel that’d be wise (mixing wild with captive). Any suggestions are wonderful! I generally know what I’m doing, but it’s always best to get more opinions. (: Thank you!

07/05/09  01:28pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2034289

Raising orphans!

I would keep the nest so they don’t feel completely insecure. They sound older than 2 weeks, but if you want to be on the safe side you can buy some KMR milk replacement and dillute it twice as much as the instructions say (for kittens). They shouldn’t be fully weaned until about 4 weeks, so this is probably a good idea.

I raised some orphans myself, and the best way to feed them, I discovered, was with a small paintbrush. These were my babies at almost 2 weeks old. This is when their mother unexpectadly died.

And here they are about a week and a half later, eating well from the paintbrush.

Good luck with your babies!

07/05/09  03:47pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2034374

Raising orphans!

I went out and got some KMR, diluted it and tried with an eyedropper, but they seem too terrified of me to even think about it. One had a flea, but I squished the lil bugger. Poor things, I feel like I should just give them some space, but I know they need to eat. They all bundle together and hide when I’m trying to grab them, and I’m afraid I’m going to stress them to death. Should I persist with feeding every few hours anyway? They pretty much let all the milk pour out of their mouths.

07/05/09  04:04pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2034385

Raising orphans!

Are they able to eat solid food? Leave some rodent blocks in with them and see if they’ve been gnawed on. You can soften them with a bit of water to make it easier for them to eat it. You might also leave a shallow dish with the KMR in it and see if they’re interested. It all depends on how old they are as to whether they will eat/drink on their own. Can you post pictures?

07/05/09  04:09pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2034389

Raising orphans!

I’ll get a picture up ASAP. Is it normal for them to be this afraid? They won’t come out at all. I’m pretty sure this is average behavior..suddenly getting scooped up and into a new home without mom has to be scary.

07/05/09  06:52pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2034480

Raising orphans!

Domestic mice wouldn’t be as afraid because they’d have seen you since birth, practically, but I’m pretty sure that’s normal behavior for wild babies. I know Greatballzofire’s babies were pretty scared of him at first.

Hope they do well for you!

07/05/09  10:28pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2034624

Raising orphans!

The pictures are blurry (the lil rascals were all over the place, I had two escapes!) but here you go.

This morning, this lil guy has one eye entirely shut. I’m not sure what happened? Should I use some warm water to try and flush it?

Dark, but two babies in the nest.

Still no progress on eating. I put a lil slice of summer squash in their nest, we’ll see what happens.

07/06/09  09:53am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2034783

Raising orphans!

It looks like their eyes are just now opening, so there’s nothing wrong with the baby with the shut eye. It should open today.

They are too young to be eating solid foods exclusively, so you’ll need to try again to get some KMR down them. My babies had absolutely no interest in feeding from a syringe/eyedropper or anything like that, and I lost 6 of them because I couldn’t get food down them. If you’ve got a small paintbrush, I really think that’s your best bet. Hold the mouse in your hand to where it can’t squirm away, and after dipping the paintbrush and shaking a couple drops off, put it on the baby’s mouth. It should hopefully start to suck on it. Mine did.

Good luck!

07/06/09  11:17am

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2034837

Raising orphans!

They all had their eyes open yesterday, so I don’t think it’s that. I’ll try the paintbrush, it’s just a matter of finding a clean one. :P

07/06/09  11:37am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2034850

Raising orphans!

Try feeding them fresh strawberries. Mine really loved the strawberries, and the fruit sugar and juice got them off to a good start. Mine may have been slightly older than yours, but they had to have heat at night. I think they were still nursing when I got them, but the mama had been dead for a few days. The strawberries are soft and sweet, easy to eat and digest. The paint brush thing is great, too.

07/06/09  07:52pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2035154

Raising orphans!

Well, they ate their piece of squash. I bought some berries (as our bushes arn’t growing yet) and rinsed one off well, then put it in the nest. They took a few good nibbles out, so they’re eating, yay! I took them all out of the nest and put them in the actual tank yesterday and they hid under the newspaper (which I’m going to use wood shavings instead, soon) and all I could think of was the song "There is life outside your Apartment"...hahaha...they’re cuties, though. The one’s eye is still sealed shut. I tried some warm water on a q-tip, but it’s not opening up. Any suggestions?

07/08/09  11:08am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2036075

Raising orphans!

That’s great! Hmm. I’m not sure about the eye that’s stuck shut. Does it look like it’s crusted and infected or anything?

07/09/09  08:04pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2036878

Raising orphans!

He opened it up...I suppose it was just an irritant. They haven’t been eating their strawberries as happily as they did the squash, so I’ll just put some in there.

07/10/09  06:26pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2037343

Raising orphans!

Well, the lil buggers are in love with their oat groats. I pour a little pile outside the nest and it’s gone the next morning. They love to come out and jump around, too, but I can’t handle them...that’s a crazy notion to them, it seems, hahah.

07/18/09  07:08am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2041207

Raising orphans!

Glad your babies are thriving!
I bought another mouse wheel yesterday (they hadn’t had a wheel for awhile because I had needed all my wheels for the mice) and they went bonkers on it all night! It had a squeak which was annoying but this morning I fixed that with a little petroleum jelly. I think they wore themselves out. They ate more of their seed mix than usual. They love groats, too. and clippings from my apple tree. They would rather eat the little green apples from my trees than the nice juicy store bought apples.

Alas, I have only females, so unless I somehow catch a healthy male, no babies.

07/18/09  08:29am

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2041217

Raising orphans!

I haven’t checked what I have...my girlfriend tried to hold them the other day and one climbed up her arm and dove under my bed...I couldn’t catch the little bugger but I have a humane trap out. I can’t be mad at her, though...I rarely get to see her and I know she was just trying to play with the buggers. I’m sure he’ll end up in the cage.

Also, apple clippings eh? I have an apple tree in my yard, as well as a cherry tree...hmmm..

07/22/09  03:22pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2043419

Raising orphans!

Link
Helpful photos of deer mice genitalia. Now I am back to square one; if they would hold still long enough for me to discern nipples then maybe I’d finally beable to know what genders I have! LOL!

07/23/09  09:06am

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2043823

Raising orphans!

It’s just a matter of catching them to check, hahaha...they’re sooo speedy.

07/23/09  09:31am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2043835

Raising orphans!

My plan is to let nature take it’s course. If babies appear, then I have both genders. I don’t plan to add any more deer mice to the little trio I have, so they will either reproduce or be spinsters or bachelors!

07/23/09  05:15pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2044124

Raising orphans!

Sounds like a plan! Hahah. They’re getting out more, but they see me and jet....most adorable little things I’ve ever seen, with their big ole ears, hehehe.

07/25/09  08:13am

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2044966

Raising orphans!

Well, I let them go today...broke my heart, they looked so confused, but I know I had to. They went off into the woods and I pray they’ll live their lives out with their natural instincts.

07/26/09  06:18pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area