Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Bearded_dragon_0   Greatballzofire   Bearded_dragon_0   Tefoe   Bearded_dragon_0   Greatballzofire   Bearded_dragon_0   Greatballzofire   Bearded_dragon_0   Bearded_dragon_0   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Mouse or Rat Breeding

I need to know a lot of things. Which is easier to breed: mice or rats? I had pet rats once and tried breeding but they never did. Then I got some mice to breed but the girls killed every boy I put in there. I need to know how to do this right. What is a good ratio for females and males in what size container? Will they drink out of a water bowl or should I use a water bottle? Thanks!

07/03/09  05:53pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2033510

Mouse or Rat Breeding

I had rats when I was a child and they bred fine, but got loose because they could chew their way through just about anything!
On to mice:
Two females per one male in at least 10 gallon container, bigger is better. I keep my breeders in 58 quart sterilite tubs with wire tops. When you go to put the male and the females together, first put the male in and let him mark his territory for a day. Then add the females. Never add the male to an existing female cage or he may be attacked, as you have sadly discovered.

They need a water bottle. They will quickly foul their water if it is in any sort of bowl.

07/03/09  06:24pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2033510

Mouse or Rat Breeding

What should I do when a female has babies? Should I take the male and others females out or should I take out the prenant females before she has babies? I think your not supose to touch the babies. Am I right?

07/04/09  02:01pm

Tefoe
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2033862

Mouse or Rat Breeding

You can separate them when one has babies or leave them together, if they’ve been housed together for awhile the females should be fine with each others babies, but the female might get pregnant again if you leave the male in...
And mice are a bit more temperamental then rats when it comes to touching their babies, its best not to touch mouse babies for the first week or so.Where rats will often let you do whatever you want with their babies with no problem.

I keep 3 females together their entire breeding lives, rats and mice, and move the males from tub to tub..btw And rats are far easier to breed & care for then mice in my experience...

07/04/09  05:23pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: Tefoe   In reference to Message Id: 2033978

Mouse or Rat Breeding

I decied to go with mice as they were easier to get and cheaper. I also have a small ball python so he can get a few babies every once in a while. What is the best way to tell if a mouse is prenant? I think I got a few from the pet store that were already pregnant as they were feeders and and keep in the same cage. Would a 1:3 ratio work in a ten gallon or should I stick with a 1:2 ratio?

07/07/09  12:24am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2035326

Mouse or Rat Breeding

For a ten gallon tank I’d go with a 1.2, no more than three mice in such a small container. If possible, give them an exercise wheel. Mice are very active and the wheel helps them stay calm, by giving them an outlet for all that energy.

The gestation period for mice is about 21 days. The last week is when they begin to look bulgy.

07/07/09  08:22am

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2035401

Mouse or Rat Breeding

I know clear plastic containers work, but would solid color containers work? They are cheaper and they have them in bigger sizes.

07/07/09  04:29pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2035659

Mouse or Rat Breeding

I suppose one could use solid color containers, as long as the lid is screened, which would let in light as well as provide ventilation.

My screen covered mouse tubs in the summer screen tent. Tubs are slightly opaque, but the principle is the same; a wire covered tub.

07/07/09  05:55pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2035722

Mouse or Rat Breeding

How many mice do you have in each and in total? Do you use the babies for your own snakes or do you sell them?

07/07/09  11:07pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2035912

Mouse or Rat Breeding

And how many mice can go in a 50 gallon tank? Would I need more than 1 male? And thanks for the help.

07/08/09  06:32am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2035985

Mouse or Rat Breeding

With a 50 gallon tank I’d go as high as 4 females to one male. The thing about mice is they are very social so will all want to congregate in the same nest no matter how big the overall tank or tub is. Once the females start having babies, unless you pull the young as pinks, pretty soon the nest box will get rather hectic what with all the babies and mamas! 50 gallons is a great size! Plenty of room to run around in and space to put wheels and other toys! Never put more than one male; the males will fight to the death! Remember, put him in the tank first to mark his territory, then put the females in, a group of sisters raised together is best.

If you are raising weanlings to adulthood you of course can put as many as three dozen in that size tank. I have a couple of 105 quart sterilite tubs full of weanling males in one tub and weanling females in the other, up to 30 in each tub. Since I sell my surplus to another reptile keeper, these tubs don’t generally have that many for long. They have wheels and paper towel tubes and a cardboard nest box to hide in, so are pretty happy little guys.

In my 58 quart tubs I have one male to two or three females, average. I start harvesting the babies at about peach fuzzie size for most of my snakes, although some of my small pyros still only eat pinks, and one big beefy gopher snake eats hoppers now. I am feeding 13 young snakes; two bull snakes, four gopher snakes, and seven king snakes. I am also breeding for color so have tubs of non food mice.

07/08/09  08:16am

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area