Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Chaotictiger   EvilTrailMix   Chaotictiger   Chaotictiger   EvilTrailMix   Chaotictiger   EvilTrailMix  
 Member  Message

Chaotictiger
View Profile

Corn snake food: switch to rats?

So I’ve decided that most if not all mice are evil and stupid. They eat each other, they eat their babies and they suck as parents in general. Maybe its just the mice around here, but I’m getting sick of it. My question is, should I wait till my mice let their lives run their course and then switch to rats? (My corn is big enough to eat their pinkies) or should I get new mice till I find some that are better? Is there an easier species of mice? The reason I ask is because ... well the above and the fact that rats tend to be better parents, better around other rats, and are friendlier in general. Any input would be appreciated. Oh, and no I don’t want ASF’s, one because they are expensive, and two, there are none around here.

06/27/09  12:44pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Chaotictiger   In reference to Message Id: 2029756

It sounds like your luck has been even worse than mine!

Are you disturbing your mice after they have their babies? It’s hard not to look, but if you do you’re just encouraging them to eat their young. It’s also possible that only one of the females is doing it (if you have more than one) or the male is doing it (if you leave him in).

I’ve heard that rats have a higher fat content than mice and shouldn’t be fed to corn snakes. I don’t know if this is true, but that’s what I’ve heard so I stick to mice. Also, rat pinkies are about the same size as a large mouse fuzzy, so your snakes might not be big enough to eat them yet.

06/27/09  05:06pm

Chaotictiger
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2029882

Well, I know its the moms because I give them their own 5 gallon tank when they’re pregnant. I tried putting 2 females to see if one would play nanny, but after a day I came home to a bloody mess of babies. The next litter when one was alone, shortly after birth she scattered her babies all around the tank, and taking them out if they managed to crawl back into the nest. I left them to see what happened and they died of starvation/

06/27/09  09:37pm

Chaotictiger
View Profile

Message To: Chaotictiger   In reference to Message Id: 2030032

And I didnt plan on possibly switching until the mice finish out the remainder of their little lives lol

06/27/09  09:39pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Chaotictiger   In reference to Message Id: 2030035

I’m sorry to hear that. It sounds like you’ve just gotten a bad mother mouse. Can you find somebody with a larger snake and just buy a new female? How many times has this happened?

06/28/09  03:03am

Chaotictiger
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2030171

I have 6 females. Only 2 have ever gotten pregnant.

06/28/09  07:00am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Chaotictiger   In reference to Message Id: 2030199

How old are the mice, and what kind of cage are they in? If they are too young or old they’re more likely to have problems with getting pregnant. Also, if it’s overcrowded in their cage they may not feel like breeding. Do all the females get along? If there’s fighting that could be a reason.

06/28/09  03:16pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area