Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Buckeye223girl   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   Buckeye223girl   Buckeye223girl   Zechriel   Buckeye223girl  
 Member  Message

Buckeye223girl
View Profile

Help with My Mice

I was wondering if my mice could be to old to have babies. They have had about 7-8 litters so far and havent had any for 3 months now. I have had the male with them a few times and no babys. I did have the male in there all the time then I took him out after a month of NO babys.

Should I get new mice. I have a Garder Snake I feed the babys to , So I have been feeding my snake fish. Help

bucky

06/16/09  03:10pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Buckeye223girl   In reference to Message Id: 2023384

Help with My Mice

You may have worn your females right out. Pregnancy is hard on a mouse’s body, so it’s best to give them a break every other litter or so. How old are they?

06/16/09  03:40pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Buckeye223girl   In reference to Message Id: 2023384

Help with My Mice

Get new females, but rest them between pregnancies by taking the male out after it is obvious the females are pregnant, so he doesn’t mate with them right after they give birth, and have to be pregnant again while nursing.

06/16/09  06:59pm

Buckeye223girl
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2023510

Help with My Mice

Thank You or your reply to my letter. I will get a few new mice and the other mice i have had about 10 or 11 months I think. I know I have had them for a while. I will give the new ones a break and take male out after the breed.

Bucky

06/16/09  10:30pm

Buckeye223girl
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2023510

Help with My Mice

Thank You or your reply to my letter. I will get a few new mice and the other mice i have had about 10 or 11 months I think. I know I have had them for a while. I will give the new ones a break and take male out after the breed.

Bucky

06/16/09  10:31pm

Zechriel
View Profile

Message To: Buckeye223girl   In reference to Message Id: 2023653

Help with My Mice

Good evening!
My daughter-who is 9-has been breeding for about 3 years now. She usually keeps about 2 females and 1 male, and when they get preggie-they get separated from the males. They also get about 2 months rest after the babies are taken away.This gets tricky as my son’s snake-Black Thunder is now eating full growns and not hoppers. So we take them away when they get weaned..and so they will not make the mom preggie again. When he moms stop making babies-a few tries and nothing or they get to the point where they will bite the males back-they get their own tank until they get old or into the freezer. Also, they get the freezer immediately if they turn cannibal. After that, we can take out the breeders and bury them in the garden as fertilizer. My daughter eagerly looks for flowers on the plants that "Brown Boy" or "Chocolate Chip" were buried under. Hope that helps. I have found that average life span is about a year to 18 months or about 4 litters. Of course, then we keep one male/female fuzzie apart if we need to "retire" a breeder soon, otherwise we pay the pet store. Good luck!
Love,
Zechriel

06/21/09  08:14pm

Buckeye223girl
View Profile

Message To: Zechriel   In reference to Message Id: 2026679

Help with My Mice

thank you for your help . I will try some of the thing you do. Bucky

06/22/09  03:02pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area