Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

EvilTrailMix   Jynxer50   Fairy Frog Mother   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Jynxer50   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

2 weeks old

Well, my oldest babies are 2 weeks old today, and a few of them have their eyes open. I figured I’d take a few pictures and share.

The white one only has one eye open, lol

06/06/09  10:21pm

Jynxer50
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2017554

2 weeks old

They’re so cute! They are the exact same color as my babies of my last litter, but my male is solid black and my female is white. The babies were like a wild mouse color, and some were white. Cute babies!
Jake

06/07/09  11:27am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Jynxer50   In reference to Message Id: 2017777

2 weeks old

Agouti!! Im a wierdo...but its a fun word to say!! A-Goo- Teee! (I think my ten years as a preschool teacher shows)

Adorable snake food!
Im so glad I keep many females as pets. None are breeding now because they are about to work faire in two weeks. I need to get a new male too, fresh blood in the lines. And one grandma mouse is going to be retired after this fair. Shes 3 and getting old.

06/07/09  03:22pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2017554

2 weeks old

Extra cute! Your mouse project is looking good!
I was inspired to run out to the mouse barn and take this picture of three mamas and their assorted young plus a few foster babies the snakes didn’t eat. The fosters are from other parents, but these mamas accepted them readily. I had taken the male out to be with new females and give these ladies a rest a few days before, so no need to worry about him rejecting offspring that aren’t his.

06/07/09  09:24pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2018176

2 weeks old

Thanks! Jynxer, I wonder why you got brown babies? I would have thought you’d get some black and some white? I wanted to get a black mouse, but the store didn’t have any.

Greatballzofire, I like your age assortment of babies. It’s kind of funny. :P

06/08/09  02:41pm

Jynxer50
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2018589

2 weeks old

Yeah, when they were little, I looked in the litter and saw black skinned babies and thought that I would have black ones but they grew up to be brown. Hey GreatballzofFire, I didn’t know that babies could be raised together if they were of such different ages. Neat! I thought that the other babies would cause harm to the younger ones...

Jake

06/08/09  11:04pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Jynxer50   In reference to Message Id: 2018895

2 weeks old

I try to avoid pinks being born in with almost weanlings. Sometimes this happens, though, and I take the mamas with the almost weanlings out and leave the mama with the pinks in the original nest. If I see I have a very pregnant mama in with not quite weanlings I remove her to her own maternity tub before she gives birth.

06/09/09  09:32am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2019057

2 weeks old

Most of them have their eyes open and some are trying food. I should be safe to clean the cage now, right? It’s pretty nasty.

I’m going to have to take some pictures of the mamas and see if you think they look pregnant. They’re definitely fatter than they were before they got pregnant (the first time) and they’ve been eating like food is going out of style, more so than they did while they were pregnant. I know they’ve got a lot of babies to feed, but I’ve never done this before so I don’t know what’s considered normal.

06/09/09  03:45pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2019238

2 weeks old

It’s safe to clean the cage now. When you transfer the young take a little of the old nest material with them to the new nest for familiar smells.
Your mice seem to be normal, eating a great deal and showing possible signs of pregnancy sooner than the first round. Mice are sort of like women; after the first baby they tend to look fatter with each succeeding pregnancy! LOL! Like women, the mama mice lose their girlish figures, for the most part.

06/09/09  09:45pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2019441

2 weeks old

Well, I got everything cleaned out and nice for them again. (I kept some of the shredded paper towels that the babies sleep in) I used paper from our paper shredder this time, with some aspen underneath. They’ve also got a miniature cardboard tube from the plastic wrap box. lol

Trying new foods.

And I’m guessing my mice are normal after all. I had thought it might be something like people, lol! They’ve slimmed down a bit and are looking more like they did before. :)

06/10/09  08:19pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2019972

2 weeks old

Here are the newest pictures of my babies. They’re 3 and a half and 3 and 1 day weeks old. (They don’t live in here, I just put them in my spare 10 gallon while I cleaned their tub)

Are you sure they don’t mature until a couple weeks from now? They look awfully big to me, and they’re all eating food nicely. Perhaps that’s because my other babies were orphans and were stunted from my being their mom... lol

06/18/09  10:05pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2024963

2 weeks old

Sorry I missed your post on 6-10. The paper shredder is a great idea. Maybe I will get a paper shredder at Walmart today, and make mouse litter along with destroying sensitive papers!

Your babies look really good! They are considered mature at 6 weeks but if kept for breeding the females should be at least 8 weeks. They can leave the mama as early as 3 weeks if they are eating solid food although the extra fourth week with mama does help them.

06/19/09  08:47am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2025126

2 weeks old

The mice really love the shredded paper. The only problem is that I have to put some aspen beneath it because the paper gets soiled and stinky so quickly. Still, I save some shavings and the mice get some extra floofy bedding to play in. :)

Thanks! I’ll let them go another week then. Sadly, this will be my last litter for a while. Temps are reaching the 90s now, and we can’t afford to cool off the garage. So I’m going to be looking to see if anybody around my area is looking for some breeder mice... Do you know if anybody on this forum is from Kentucky or Tennessee?

06/19/09  02:52pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2025323

2 weeks old

Nope, don’t know anyone from Tennessee or Kentucky. You could try scoping out profiles and see where folks are from.

Out here in the Sierra Nevada foothills it will soon be hot and my own breeding program will go on hold for the summer. I will keep my best and younger breeders for start up in early fall. When it gets really hot I give my mice those blue freezer packs wrapped in a towel to help them cool down. I am running a fan in the mouse barn now which helps. Wish I had air conditioning, but too expensive power wise.

06/19/09  08:59pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2025527

2 weeks old

I’d rather buy some of those blue freezer packs and keep them, but my mother is wanting me to get rid of them. I’ll suggest the idea to her and see what she thinks.

06/19/09  09:06pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2025530

2 weeks old

My mom has agreed to let me try the freezer packs. Do your mice chew through the cloths? We don’t really have any I could use, so I’ll have to go with paper towels. I’m just a little worried that the mice will chew through the freezer pack.

06/20/09  04:37pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2025949

2 weeks old

My mice never chewed through their freezer packs. Those hard plastic blue things are quite durable.

Also inexpensive at Walmart and other such stores. You can sleeve the pack, or block, in an old gym sock, too.
If the mice have other things to gnaw on, like cuttlefish bone or wood, they are much less likely to gnaw on the wrong things. When it is hot they are too tired to do much more than just lay on the freezer packs chilling out! LOL!

06/20/09  10:13pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2026096

2 weeks old

Alright, I’ll give it a shot. My male mouse can’t seem to get enough of plastic, though. I’ve had to just remove his water bottle and give him a few drinks each day until I can get a metal holder. (The mice have been inside these past few days) I guess I can give him some more things to chew on and see if that will keep his mind off of chewing his water bottle...

On a different note, that mouse had a rough day today. I had gotten him out to play with our rat terrier, who adores small animals and follows them around the house and licks them, and then my dog, a lab mix, came to see him. I picked him up and showed him to him, and my dog chomped him and my hands up so you could just see a tail sticking out. Luckily, the mouse wasn’t hurt since he was in my hands, just slobbery. lol, poor mouse.

06/20/09  10:43pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2026115

2 weeks old

LOL! I don’t know what would be worse; being followed around and tasted by a terrier or being slobbered by a big Labrador! That’ll teach that mouse to chew the plastic! Speaking of things to chew, maybe give him a dog chew thing, like one of those Greenie bones for dogs.

06/22/09  05:26pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area