Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Chaotictiger   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   Fairy Frog Mother   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Ginger

Ginger’s mates

Ginger

Ginger is my newest mouse. I am hoping he will produce young like himself. I have matched him up with two of my lightest females. I didn’t pair him with any albinos as the albino gene tends to overwhelm other genes.

06/05/09  07:58pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2016961

Ginger

He’s beautiful! Does that color have a specific name? Hopefully your girls will give you some babies that look like him.

Speaking of genetics, you said that albino overwhelms other genes? Does this mean that I’d have a better chance of getting some babies the color of your new mouse if I bred my females to a non-albino male? My girls had some sisters that were that color, but my male is an albino.

06/05/09  11:32pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2017054

Ginger

Link
Ginger looks like the fawn.
I think you might get some this color if your mice carry this gene. You will get a lot of albinos, too, though. I am just going my my own experience here, not any scientific data.

06/06/09  08:19am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2017136

Ginger

Another link about this color.
Link
I don’t know if he is recessive yellow or lethal yellow. As he matures I will find out if he gets too fat. This reminds me of a gene in humans that causes both red hair and obesity. Not all red haired people have this gene, or I would be fat! LOL!
Link

06/06/09  09:09am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2017141

Ginger

lol, nice! Hopefully he’s recessive.

So, I’d have a better chance of getting some yellow babies if I bred my females to another dark mouse? Or at least one that wasn’t albino? Because I ended up with 24 babies, 10 being brown, and 14 being white.

06/06/09  02:25pm

Chaotictiger
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2017292

Ginger

He’s not fawn, fawn are that color but have pink eyes. Just a little tidbit there..

06/06/09  03:18pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Chaotictiger   In reference to Message Id: 2017327

Ginger

Link
The link:
Link
said that they can have either pink or black eyes. Ginger has black eyes.
I think he is recessive yellow. I looked at him today in good light and he does look a little sooty as they describe the young ones to look.
Link

06/06/09  05:56pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2017435

Ginger

Hopefully so! I think he’s old enough that he’d already be showing signs of obesity or other health problems though, don’t you? He looks full grown in the pictures.

06/06/09  07:23pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2017475

Ginger

He’s about 6 weeks old, approximately. Old enough to breed for a male, but still has some growing to do. He seems to be healthy so far. His ladies have accepted him ( I put them all together in a fresh neutral tub). Usually if there is anything wrong with a mouse the others know, and it shows in their behavior.

06/07/09  08:13am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2017712

Ginger

I have a female that colour. Shes recessive with black eyes. I love the red ones. I soooo want to breed and get rex’s and Angoras! Need to find a source to get an Angora male and Rex Female. (Ok not for snake food, but my snakes are too big for mice anyhow, and when/if they have a clutch, it wont matter for pinkies or fuzzies as they wont have too much hair then)

06/07/09  03:35pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2017912

Ginger

Too bad they don’t sell live mice on the Internet like they do snakes! Shipping is super expensive.

After I put Ginger with his two females, I added my reddest female (she is a sort of reddish chestnut color) and an albino female, as well. These females had all been raised together in the same grow-out tub, and are compatible.

06/07/09  09:38pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area