Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   Jynxer50   Greatballzofire   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Jynxer50   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Jynxer50   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Jynxer50   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   Greatballzofire   Cherrykins   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   Zookid239   EvilTrailMix   Greatballzofire   Monster545   Greatballzofire  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Deer Mice

Just after being put in critter keeper.
These are weanling deer mice. When I went over to my friend’s cabin to open it up in preparation for his return from his winter stay in Hawaii, I found a mama deer mouse had made a nest in the upper freezer compartment of his refrigerator, which had been turned off for the winter with the door left open. Mama had recently got into some rat bait and gone and died in the freezer, and when I pulled the nest out, these three little orphans popped out. I brought them home and am keeping them in a critter keeper. At first I thought they might not make it, but they have begun eating their oat groats, rodent block and fruit, and now look pretty good.

A few days later. Plumping up and relaxing. Not sure how long they had gone without food, as the mama was decaying and there was no food available in the freezer, and they had not eaten any of the dead mama. Tough little dudes!

I will keep them; they are interesting. They are not being kept in my mouse barn, but in the cabin in an out of cat reach spot.

06/02/09  08:30am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2015079

Deer Mice

Aw! They look like they’re doing well! Cute little things.

06/02/09  01:11pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2015159

Deer Mice

The weather got cold last night so their critter keeper is on a heating pad with a thermometer to keep them warm, and to prevent them using up too much energy trying to generate body heat instead of growing.

They really like their strawberries fresh from the garden. This is how I am giving them fluids. Eventually when they go into a regular mouse tub I will see if they will use a water bottle. if not I always have organic fruit available.

06/02/09  09:15pm

Jynxer50
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2015459

Deer Mice

Cool! I tried to raise a few wild mice I found, but they were too young. To teach them how to drink out of a bottle, just jam a little something in the tip of a water bottle so that it drips, put a bowl under it, so that they recognize the drips as water. Pretty soon they will recognize it. Good luck with them!

Jake

06/02/09  10:39pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Jynxer50   In reference to Message Id: 2015516

Deer Mice

Thanks, Jynxer50!
I have a leaky water bottle which will work great.
This morning they are all bunched down in the bedding warm and content. I was going to photograph them but all you would see is a little bit of fur under a lot of bedding. They are nocturnal, so I will try for some more pictures late tonight. They have eaten most of their strawberries and some of the groats and rodent block.

06/03/09  09:29am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2015658

Deer Mice

Here they are as of last night. They will need a bigger container soon. I will make another mouse tub today. The red stuff is their strawberries. They bite holes in the berries exactly like the damage I sometimes find in the garden. I think I may have discovered what sort of animal is getting the garden berries! The cats have definitely fallen down on the job! LOL!

06/04/09  08:14am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2016164

Deer Mice

LOL, so has our cat! I caught another mouse hanging out with mine, sitting on top of their cages a week or so ago.

Those babies are looking good! Do you know what gender they are? It would be cool if they were all the same so they could live together.

06/04/09  02:52pm

Jynxer50
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2016347

Deer Mice

They are so cute! Here’s a cool link I found about some orphaned deer mice. I don’t know if you’ve seen it or if any of the info will be helpful, but the pics are cute if nothing else!

Deer Mice as Pets

Jake

06/04/09  07:29pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Jynxer50   In reference to Message Id: 2016489

Deer Mice

Thanks for the great link. The pictures were most useful. I have put a water cup in with them. Didn’t get around to making another mouse tub, as other chores intervened. Tomorrow I will do that and be able to give them a nest box and a wheel and a water bottle.

Learning about the water cup. When I put my hand in the critter keeper they are not too freaked out. I don’t try to catch them or scare them. When they get bigger I’ll see what gender they are. A male and two females would be sweet.

06/04/09  08:56pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2016535

Deer Mice

Aw, that’s sweet! I bet they’ll come around quickly since they’re so young.

Jynxer, some of the mice from that link reminded me of Greedo from Star Wars, with their bulging eyes and quirky little ears. LOL!

06/04/09  09:04pm

Jynxer50
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2016540

Deer Mice

Wow, now that I think about it, they kind of do! LOL.

Jake

06/04/09  09:12pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Jynxer50   In reference to Message Id: 2016545

Deer Mice

Had to Google Greedo, been a long time since I’ve seen a Star Wars film. They DO look like that! LOL! If I have a male that would be a good name for him.

06/04/09  09:18pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2016547

Deer Mice

Haha! That’s great. Now I really hope one of them is a male. lol Star Wars is my all-time favorite movie trilogy. :P

06/04/09  10:03pm

Jynxer50
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2016568

Deer Mice

Not my fave, but loved the series. I’m a Harry Potter fan, books and movies. I love reading, especially the novels in class that we read. Across Five Aprils, Flowers for Algernon, Of Mice and Men, loved them all!

Ahh! Now I’m the hijacker! lol

Jake

06/04/09  10:31pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Jynxer50   In reference to Message Id: 2016582

Deer Mice

Our new digs!

Checking out the water bottle. This is a new water bottle. They learned where the water is by bonking their heads on the metal tube and getting a little shower. The third mouse is in the paper tube.

My friend John bought this new critter keeper for me, as his son had accidentally broke one of my old ones that I deliver my mice in. This one is a nice upgrade, and is still small enough to sit on the heating pad in the cardboard box. My new ginger mouse and his mates got the big sterilite tub I had planned to give to the deer mice.

When I transferred them I looked at their bottoms and I think I have two females and one male. Hard to tell; will look again in a couple of weeks.

06/05/09  08:26pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2016970

Deer Mice

They look really good, out and about and all! That would be really cool if there were two females and a male. Are they getting friendlier?

06/05/09  11:45pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2017057

Deer Mice

They do seem to be accepting the Big Hand. They haven’t tried to bite me when I pick them up by the tail and hold them on the back of my other hand. Two of them are big and confident and one is sort of small and timid.

Their most active time is at dusk. I try to do the cage chores during the day when they are sleeping, as at night they are popping around like popcorn and I don’t want them escaping into my cabin with 6 cats!

06/06/09  08:27am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2017138

Deer Mice

So how are these guys doing now?

06/13/09  02:44pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2021597

Deer Mice

I upended their toilet paper roll hide to get the pictures. They did not appreciate that at all! But they are doing very well. The third photo is of the littlest one.
Tomorrow they will go into a larger critter keeper. I don’t really trust my regular mouse tubs to confine these intelligent and wily little characters. One thing very nice about these deer mice is they don’t stink like domestic mice!

When I get them into their new habitat I will do a little youtube video (Go to youtube and look at greatballzofire’s videos.) This will be easier than trying to capture still images of them!

Other mouse news:
Tommy Tutone is a daddy! Nice batch of pinks. Can hardly wait to see if I have any more tutones!
Got a new mouse Silvio who is a pretty silver color; in with a pair of white sisters.
Ginger is doing fine, too soon to tell if his ladies are pregnant yet but they have accepted him nicely.
Red sired a big batch of red babies.
Photos will be provided in the next few days.

06/13/09  08:06pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2021784

Deer Mice

They are so cute! I love their big ears. Hmm. I wonder why they don’t smell as bad?

06/14/09  04:07pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2022175

Deer Mice

Their new digs, on the right.

After the video shoot...we are tired! I am glad I put the two critter keepers in a big sterilite tub, as they hopped around so much during the transfer that one of them actually jumped onto the lip of the critter keeper, then onto the lip of the big tub and onto my easy chair! I scooped it up quickly! This happened twice! Whew!

Tonight they got crickets as a treat. They do eat insects, and I always have gobs of crickets.

I don’t know why they don’t smell. The litter in their old keeper was over a week old and it smells like the strawberries I feed them more than anything else. Three domestic mice the same age in that size keeper would definitely smell more, although domestic mouse babies don’t smell very much, either, its mainly the adult male urine that is the big stinky. Maybe when they become adults they will have more of a smell. I have one female and two males, as near as I can tell. The big female has nipples and her genitalia look female.

06/14/09  07:59pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2022323

Deer Mice

No more critter keepers for these peppy little guys! They got one of my old mouse cages which is 2ftx2ftx2ft and covered with hardware cloth. It passed the mouse test with no escapees, so I think the deer mice will do fine in it. Will maybe try to get better photos tonight when they are out and about.

06/16/09  07:09pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2023517

Deer Mice

Awww, precious little things! Gives me hope for the lil ones I just took in.

07/05/09  01:56pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2023517

Deer Mice

How are these guys doing now? Are they starting to smell yet? lol

07/05/09  04:10pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2034393

Deer Mice

I just took these photos. What a buch of zippy zoomers! Trying to get a photo with the cage door open and not have anyone escape! Whew! Had to disturb them a bit for a daytime shot. You can see their adult colors are coming in; the brown on their sides.

They are doing great! No smell, either. They are in my outdoor sleeping room. At night when I am on the computer they come out and watch me. Their cage sits on my table. I have not been able to discern gender, but it appears I have three females, as I have seen nothing that so far looks like testicles. LOL! I feed them oat groats, a cockatiel seed mix, and fruit. They have a water bowl, as they never did seem to get the hang of the water bottle. Unlike domestic mice, they don’t mess up their water bowl, although I change it daily. They also have a little pumice stone to gnaw on, as well as the cuttlefish bone. They don’t seem too fond of the rodent block, but it is there just in case.

07/05/09  06:57pm

Zookid239
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2034485

Deer Mice

aww i want one

07/05/09  07:01pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2034485

Deer Mice

Oh, they are so adorable!! I take it they’re not handleable, then? That’s a bummer, but they’re still really sweet looking. :)

07/05/09  10:35pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2034630

Deer Mice

Being naturally wild they are shy of being handled. I let them set the boundaries of socializing. If I had got them before their eyes had opened and nursed them they may have been tamer.

07/06/09  08:30am

Monster545
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2034761

Deer Mice

The reason they aren’t as smelly is because they use more nutrients than fancy mice do, so thier poop is generally smaller. I would think of breeding them when they are older to produce a mouse that may look like a fancy, but get more nutrients out of thier food and therefore a nicer smelling mouse. I know this because I have owned two deer mice, one was an adult, but the other one was a baby that died because my sister left the door open and...so yea, if I can I might one day get some more mice, but if your interested in the future with breeding those girls to a fancy, I would love to buy one of thier babys.;) Also, you might breed the tameness into the wild/fancy hybrids so you get a wild looking mouse, with the tameness of a fancy. I would love to own one of those. But any ways, I recomend putting the hollow logs sold for reptiles in there for them and some branches for them to climb on and chew on, they wont know how to use a wheel, but putting twiggs and rocks in there should help them burn off some energy, and dont be discouradged, they wil get used to you eventually and will enjoy small handling sesions. Hope it helped.

04/04/10  05:15pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Monster545   In reference to Message Id: 2138377

Deer Mice

Link
Sorry, they cannot interbreed with domestic fancy mice.
I released my deer mice some time ago once they reached adulthood.
They did enjoy the wheel, but showed totally no signs of ever becoming tame enough to handle.

04/06/10  11:07am
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area