Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Reflex   Greatballzofire   Reflex   Greatballzofire   Tefoe   Reflex   Reflex   Greatballzofire   Zechriel   Bearded_dragon_0   Greatballzofire   Jynxer50   Absentminded prof   Reflex   Patchlover   Veronica _V  

Member  Message

Reflex
View Profile

Rodent food and bedding - What kind do you use? How much do you pay?

Just curious!!!
As far as food goes, I buy 25lb bags of Mazuri rodent food for $18.00. In Idaho (where I plan on moving to eventually) I can get the 50 lb bags for $32.99. It’s a lot more expensive than what I’ve seen everyone else pay, but I think it’s because they need to be special ordered because they usually don’t carry them. Unfortunately it’s not the 9f or even the 6f kind... It’s the 5663 kind.
I also get 40 lb bags of Nature’s animal bedding (a kiln dried pine pellet bedding) for $5.80.

How much do you spend on your food/bedding? What kind?

06/01/09  09:37pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2014870

From the local feed store:
Rodent block Critter Cubes 50 pound bag for $37.95
Pine shavings America’s Choice 12 cu ft bale for $7.50
Oat groats 50 pound bag for $28.95

What are those rodents in your photos? They are really cute, whatever they are!

06/01/09  10:13pm

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2014893

Not bad for the pine! I like the pine pellets best though. Oat groats? What are those?

Oh, and they are African Soft-Furred Rats... Cute... But evil little buggers!

06/01/09  10:21pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2014899

Link
What oat groats are. I like to feed my nursing mamas and weanlings the oat groats as a supplement to put weight on and give them a boost in nourishment. They love their groats.

Soft furred rats...I’ve heard those are mean little devils. They are illegal to keep in California, as where they come from is too much like here and its feared they would naturalize too easily.

06/02/09  08:22am

Tefoe
View Profile

I just use normal pine bedding. I get it from wal*mart, its the cheapest there here in my area, 4 cubic feet for around $5.. I go through about 14 bags a week. I clean out 4 cities worth of wal*marts every month! that cleans 250 58q breeding/birthing tubs, and 55 106q growing tubs, every week..

As for food!
I’m a big believer in all around care for my rodents, not just cleaning them and providing food and water.. Rats are pretty intelligent creatures. So it stands that they should be enriched and stimulated mentally too, as part of having healthy, fast growing, big!, large litter producing rats...
You don’t need toys and what not to do that. simply giving them variety in what they choose to eat, gos extremely far in doing that iv found..
The single most important thing that this dose is reduce Stress!!
You can do everything right, but if you have animals that are too stressed, they will still breed and grow just fine. But take that stress and remove it and rats do much better.....
litters sizes go higher, growth rates go up, breeding life is longer, and they get BIGGER!!

Anyway!!
I make my own mix of food.. Just think about it, would you prefer dry brown blocks day in day out, or a nice variety of foods?
And its cheaper! The only thing i buy that’s over $18 is the dog food!

In my rat food mix:
Rabbit pellets.($8-50lbs)
10% horse pellets.($7.50-50lbs)
Whole corn.($9-50lbs)
Sun flower seeds.($12-25lbs)
mixed grains; wheat, barely, millet, and oats.(($11.50-50lbs)
Dry maccaroni.($2.50-3lbs x5)
Purina all Natural dog food...($27.50-40lbs)

that’s everything. this is what all of my rats eat, 2 batches a week. My mice get the same minus the dog food, witch they only get once a week.

06/02/09  05:08pm

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: Tefoe   In reference to Message Id: 2015311

Tefoe,

I do agree with you. I used to use my own mix full of healthy foods for my pet rats, and even have a rat food mix video on youtube. I stopped when I found the Mazuri. I had need for a mix that I could put into a food hopper.

06/02/09  08:14pm

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2015076

Oh, and that’s interesting they are illegal in Cali. It makes sense, though.
Aren’t ferrets illegal there, too?

06/03/09  02:03am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2015569

Quote:

Aren’t ferrets illegal there, too?

Yes, ferrets are illegal, too. And gerbils.

06/03/09  09:21am

Zechriel
View Profile

Message To: Tefoe   In reference to Message Id: 2015311

Good evening!
My daughter is the breeder and keep of the mice. She also uses the pine from Walmart. So far, never had problems. As far as mouse food, we used to get it from the local pet store in the city for $1 a pound but then the mice were picky, throwing out the corn and some pellets, only eating the sunflower seeds and other seeds. Then we moved to town and I have to get 4 lb. bags at Petco for $8!!! But a new store just opened that sells pellet blocks? I guess what everyone else uses and they seems to gnaw on that. 2 lbs for $4. Since we only have 2 cages, no big deal but I think I will try that recipe. If I can find a feed store close by. Good luck!
Love,
Zechriel

06/21/09  08:23pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

$7 for pine bedding, $11 for a 16 pound bag of cat food, and $15 for a bag of rabbit pellets.

07/08/09  06:29am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2035983

Mazuri 5663 Rodent Pellet for $17 for a 25 lb bag. The feed store quit being able to get the Critter Cubes. I barter with a local pet store, trading mice for feed. Now the feed store also is carrying the Mazuri. The price is better, too, than the Critter Cubes.

Still use the other two things:
Pine shavings America’s Choice 12 cu ft bale for $7.50
Oat groats 50 pound bag for $28.95

07/08/09  08:30am

Jynxer50
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2036009

For food, I mix my own seed mix, but I could see how rodent blocks would be more practical if I had more mice. I mix bird seed, barley, wheat, cracked corn, cat food, dog food, rabbit pellets, pig pellets, and chicken layer pellets. It’s actually free for me because we already have all of the stuff for our other animals, so about once a month I just throw a little together, works quite well and the mice seem to love it. I also use the big bags of pine from Wal-mart, about $4.

Jake

07/12/09  10:54am

Absentminded prof
View Profile

Hi, I have two female rats that I love and do as much as possible for. I buy a bag of Lab Blocks from Wal*Mart which seems to last them at least a month and costs between 5-10 dollars. They don`t smell very good but the rats don`t seem to mind. Usually when I give them their food they store it somewhere in their cage for safe keeping. The Lab Blocks hold all the equally balanced nutrition that the rats need and knawing on them wears down the rats teeth which can be dangerous if they grow to long. I also like to give them fresh fruits and vegetables to add variety and flavor to their diets. I would recommend that you study out what fruits and vegetables to give them because there are many that are supposedly poisonous to rats although I think their immune systems are alot less sensitive than people say (My rat ate part of a crayon and had no problem).
As far as bedding goes I use natural Critter Care. It does not hold the smell in as much as other bedding’s that have a strong smell of their own but it does a good job on the smell and wicks up moisture extremely well. The only problem that I have had with this bedding is that it gets kicked out of the wire cage fairly easy. I do not use pine or cedar bedding’s because (after much much studying!!!) I found out that all the experts agree this kind of bedding causes respiratory disease in rats and mice.
Over all most rat resources say this- Monthly Costs
Lab Blocks or Large pellets . . .$1 to $2
fruits and vegetables . . . . . . .$2 to $3
bedding . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3 to $10
-----------------------------------------------
TOTAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $6 to $15

04/13/11  04:55pm

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: Absentminded prof   In reference to Message Id: 2214268

Thanks for the input! This post was 2 years ago and I’ve given up on breeding ASFs but now breed standard pet quality and feeder rats. I think I’ve found my niche using aspen bedding and Mazuri rodent food. The trick is to buy in bulk to save money I think lol.

04/13/11  05:01pm

Patchlover
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2214270

i mix my own too...i have over 300 mice and i mix black oil sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, and white millet(which they really seem to like) and i use the breeder pellets or whatever they are called.

04/15/11  09:38pm

Veronica _V
View Profile

Message To: Patchlover   In reference to Message Id: 2214635

Bedding: Pine shavings, low dust: 3 bucks a big bag. However, I am switching to the cellulose-fiber stuff, I’ve noticed my stud buck sneezing more and more lately, I think it’s the aromatic oils. I may try timothy hay or something else eventually, though.

Food: I feed some rat block diet, but supplement with:
Turnip green or collard green stalks and leaves, broken into smaller chunks.
Baby carrots
Broccolli
Cauliflower
Yogurt as a treat on occaision

The veggies I buy in veggie mix bags, 2-6 dollars each.
The turnip and collard bits are the parts of the greens I buy for my beardie that he cannot eat. I chop the "Bottoms" off and add these to the rat’s diet so they don’t go to waste.

All told, I don’t spend much money, but the greens really seem to add the rat’s health, and give them something to do. I plan on adding some seed feeds as well to my feed mix, though I haven’t picked a certain type yet.

I also provide an exercise wheel and some toy items as well however, and handle my rats as much as I can--- I only have one breeding pair right now and sell the pups as both feeders and pets, so I keep them reasonably tame and friendly for that purpose.

12/28/11  03:53am

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area