Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Vincentiscool   Greatballzofire   MHUH   Zookid239  
 Member  Message

Vincentiscool
View Profile

Help!!!!urgenttt

Ok so my mouse was pregnant for a couple weeks.when I came hometoday my mouse was skinny again so I thoughtshe he. Babies but I couldn’t find them so is it normal for a mouse to get skinny befor they have babies? Another thought is she ate them because I could a small blood spot in the cage.

-vincent

04/08/09  09:41pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Vincentiscool   In reference to Message Id: 1982636

Help!!!!urgenttt

This sounds like an unfortunate case of cannibalism. Sometimes first time mothers will do that, and all you will find is a little bit of blood.
Other things that will cause cannibalism are:
1. Changing the smells in the mouse tub by cleaning it too close to the birth date.
2. Disturbance from other mice in tub; sisters raised together work out the best as tub mates, with an unrelated male as the father.
3. Dietary insufficiency; rodent blocks and plenty of fresh water at all times is vital...never let them run out of either for even a short time.
4. Disturbance from loud noise, other animals, children...
5. Too hot room temperatures; they like it on the cool side of 70 Fahrenheit, and will do fine even in the high 40’s if they have plenty of litter in a cozy nest box and others to cuddle with.

Some mice are more prone to this bad thing and I think it may be genetic. I breed only my calmest most tolerant mice , hoping to pass on relaxed personalities along with other positive traits.

04/08/09  11:14pm

MHUH
View Profile

Message To: Vincentiscool   In reference to Message Id: 1982636

Help!!!!urgenttt

ok maybe it wasnt pregnant

05/24/09  03:44pm

Zookid239
View Profile

Message To: MHUH   In reference to Message Id: 2010397

Help!!!!urgenttt

that happened to me only my 2 girls wern’t pregnant