Reptilelighting Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Reptilelighting Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Superworm123   Eris   Superworm123   Eris  

Member  Message

Superworm123
View Profile

UVA vs. UVB

Is it ok if I have a 60watt UVA blue bulb instead of a UVB?
And what is the difference?

02/25/17  08:10pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Superworm123   In reference to Message Id: 2320320

UVA vs. UVB

Hello!

What are you keeping? Depending on the species, their lighting requirements will be different.

A 60 watt blue bulb is most likely intended for visual light as well as a heat source and will not provide any UVB.

Certain species of reptiles/amphibians will require UVB lighting, which is essential for their health for synthesizing Vitamin D. If your pet’s needs are both heat and UVB, then you will need a heat source as well as a special UVB bulb. Keep in mind that the UVB out put will diminish over time, so those bulbs will need to be replaced every 6 months. Also depending on the species, their level of UVB will be different. For instance, a desert reptile that basks in the sun (like bearded dragons) will require a higher level of UVB, than a tropical species that would be exposed to indirect or lower light levels (such as crested geckos). There have been reports that even nocturnal species will benefit form correct UVB lighting.

This site does a good job at explaining the requirements and differences: https://joshsfrogs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201197817-What-UVB-bulb-is-best-for-my-pet-reptile-or-amphibian-

02/26/17  06:19pm

Superworm123
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2320322

UVA vs. UVB

I have a green anole, and I need to keep the tank hot as well I can’t use 2 lightbulb fixtures, I only have 1. For, tropical animals what UVB level should I use. Can I use a 75 watt or 60 watt. Plz reply

02/26/17  11:30pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Superworm123   In reference to Message Id: 2320323

UVA vs. UVB

Green Anoles are awesome little guys and they do require UVB lighting. You can use 5% UVB bulb, such as Reptisun 5.0 or Exoterra 100 UVB. I personally use Exo-Terra bulbs and get them off Amazon at half the cost from the pet store. However, UVB only comes in fluorescent bulbs and they will not put off enough heat for your anole’s needs. To keep him healthy a second light fixture will be needed for the heat source as well, and depending on the size of the tank a 60 should be good, just be sure to check your temps.

Might want to look into a double hood to house both bulbs or getting an additional spot lamp for the 60 watt one. Keep in mind that Exo-Terra hoods can not handle high wattage bulbs-only compact fluorescent. Another thought is one of the "nano domes" they are super small, but require their own special mini bulbs.

03/05/17  03:04pm

Back to Reptilelighting Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area