Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Reptilelighting Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dborum   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Dborum
View Profile

Heat Displacement issues, any ideas?

Hello eveyone,

I recently got a young green iguana on Christmas, he’s doing great. He’s got a 20-gallon (which will be changed very soon.), Got all the proper lighting and a ceramic heat lamp. We had to replace the original heat lamp because it burnt out three days after use (which was odd).

Now for the actual issue:
For some reason the cool side of the tank wasn’t getting warm at all, I know it essentially needs to be cooler than the basking area/hot side, but the cool side literally isn’t getting any heat, and is sitting at 70 degrees, which is not good at all. And even on the hot side, it is sitting between 75-80. Which this needs to be high 80’s low 90’s.

I have a feeling it might be the fixture that I am using with my lamp. I had swapped the light with that of my ball python (they both are using the same ceramic type, 30-40 gallon, 100 watt.) And within minutes the temp was rising to the appropriate temp. I have tried everything I can think to try and hold heat into the ig’s tank. Towels, cutting cardboard and covering it with aluminum. Is there anything I can do? Is it a fixture issue like I think it is?

I also forgot to mention that my Ball’s light fixture is not only taller, but wider as well, if that helps.

12/28/12  02:21pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Dborum   In reference to Message Id: 2288404

Heat Displacement issues, any ideas?

what are you using to measure temps with...?

01/02/15  10:35pm

Back to Reptilelighting Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area