Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Reptilelighting Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Reptilelighting Forum

Brita21   Rokdog   Cphill58   Rokdog  
 Member  Message

Brita21
View Profile

UVB bulb help

I’ve just recently read that Uvb coil bulbs are not safe to use and can cause blinding... I have two baby sulcata tortoises and I am using an Exo terra terrarium lamp repti glo 10.0 26w.. Is this safe to use? If not, what should I be using instead?

10/29/11  03:11am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Brita21   In reference to Message Id: 2242313

UVB bulb help

where did you read that?
& how old was the article?
SOME used to be harmful because of phosphorous added during manufacturing
but this has since been remedied.....
I have used them for years with-out incident, keep them at recommended distances & have your reptiles basking spot positioned so it is not forced to have to constantly look into the bulb & allow them a choice to move under a halogen or incadescent bulb to bask also....
Flourescent UVB’s should be changed every 6 months(unless you have a meter to check) as UVB production is reduced over time, even though a UVB bulb is still working it may no-longer be producing UVB

10/29/11  10:02am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2242320

UVB bulb help

This report is still valid ...I have not seen any evidence that the manufactures have re designed the CFL lamps...or some of the bad Zilla products.

it is wise to increase the distance of lamp from reptile if any issues arise ...better yet, turn it off and take it back.

This article was valid in 2009 when last updated...

CFL LAMPS

Read about it at least and learn what you can to recognize issues if you have them ...

10/29/11  01:35pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2242329

UVB bulb help

Compact UVB ?

10/29/11  02:31pm

Back to Reptilelighting Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area