Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Reptile Veterinarians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Reptile Veterinarians Forum

LIZARDMAN20   LIZARDMAN20   JENOVA   Corallus   Pythonking  
 Member  Message

LIZARDMAN20
View Profile

Herpetologist

OK so growing up i loved studying lizards and now I’m in high school right and when i go to college i want to study to be a herpetologist but what do i need to do to get there?

02/25/09  02:45am

LIZARDMAN20
View Profile

Message To: LIZARDMAN20   In reference to Message Id: 1958795

Herpetologist

well if you guys dont know the answer do you know how much they get paid an hour and year

02/25/09  08:26pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: LIZARDMAN20   In reference to Message Id: 1958795

Herpetologist

Take lots and lots of science. I don’t know exact requirements. But science and math are always good choices when in doubt :)

03/03/09  11:33pm

Corallus
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 1962780

Herpetologist

Look if you want to study herps you are going to need a degree in science, e.g. biology, zoology, ecology; something along those lines. Usually pre-requisites to a degree program include the physical sciences: physics and chemistry; natural sciences: biology; mathematics: algebra to calculus is recommended, different for each institution ( keep in mind you build in high school and sometimes can test out of taking math in college); and other electives, for instance, a history course and 1 full year of english. Next you will move on to specializing to earn your degree . You can specialize in ecology, zoology, behavior, and microbiology at most places as an undergraduate. The specialization opportunities are endless and I listed the more common. I have yet to find an institution in the United States, that offer an undergraduate degree in herpetology, however, you can take this course at select places. Depending on where you go to get your degree you can do undergraduate research on reptiles and amphibians, but for common folk you will need to move on to graduate school to really study what you like. I hope this helps and do some research online, at a local university, or library to get more information. People are generally nice and love enthusiastic individuals. Good luck!

04/22/09  09:27am

Pythonking
View Profile

Message To: Corallus   In reference to Message Id: 1990691

Herpetologist

their are degress in herpetology. but biology and zoology it depends what exactly you want to do

07/07/09  08:34pm

Back to Reptile Veterinarians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area