Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Reptile-Morphs-Genetics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Reptile-Morphs-Genetics Forum

Jeff876533   Xpantherx   Emeraldman  
 Member  Message

Jeff876533
View Profile

Question about recessive genes, and want a list of recessive genes in leo’s

ok, i am starting to get the whole genetics thing. If i am right (correct me if im wrong) the dominant gene while always be expressed, not the recessive. but if there are 2 recessive genes, the recessive will obviously be expressed. The question is, what morphs have recessive genes in leopard geckos? I have heard that the blizzard is recessive, is that true also?

08/23/06  01:07am

Xpantherx
View Profile

Message To: Jeff876533   In reference to Message Id: 952681

Dominant genes and recessive genes can be expressed like this:
N = Normal
r = recessive trait

Genotype(genetics): Phenotype(what it actually looks like):
NN = homozygous for the normal trait
Nr = heterozygous for normal and recessive, the dominant trait masks the recessive one
rr = homozygous for recessive trait

Some traits however, are much more complex like co-dominance, incomplete dominance, and line bred or selective bred traits.
Recessive traits: Albinism, blizzards, blazing blizzards, patternless, giant, jungle, mack snow, pastel, reverse stripe/stripe, aberrant, leucistic, red eyes, hypomelanism.
Co-dom:co-dom snow, super snow
Selective:stripe, jungle, lavander, aberrant, tangerine, high yellow, hypermelanistic.
Other morphs like R.A.P.T.O.R.s start to get more complex, involving "double recessive" genes, and start lumping other traits into one gecko like hypomelanism, red eyes, and tangerine.

~k

09/25/06  09:29pm

Emeraldman
View Profile

Message To: Xpantherx   In reference to Message Id: 997346

From what I’ve heard, Mack Snow is co-dom (Hence the reason for Mack Super Snows). So is Enigma, and Giant. Which is true?

-Trav

11/03/07  11:28pm

Back to Reptile-Morphs-Genetics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area