Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Reptile-Morphs-Genetics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Reptile-Morphs-Genetics Forum

BuggyTheClown   Emeraldman   BuggyTheClown   Emeraldman   Mikayla-rose   Emeraldman   ExoSkelet0n   Slove1106  
 Member  Message

BuggyTheClown
View Profile

Srry to Ask but whats a morph

Hi, i really want to be a future herpitoligist and Iíve never seen this forum before. Are morphs just like reptiles that have messed up genectics.

I would really like to know.
Thanks
Mike

08/21/07  07:20pm

Emeraldman
View Profile

Message To: BuggyTheClown   In reference to Message Id: 1413567

Hi there Mike, and welcome to the forums. I see youíre interested in genetics, Iíll try to give you a little precursor to what youíll encounter.

If there is anyone who would like a quick crash course in genetics, they can read this. I hope I explain everything right, and if I am wrong, please correct me, I do NOT take offense to it!

Morphs are reptiles that have been breed (or found in the wild) that display a recessive attribute in their appearance. That is to say, they have inherited a gene from their parents that was not shown in the parent. As an example, weíll look at the genetics of Cornsnakes, something Iíve just recently started to study. Genes are the basis for what an animal looks (and in many cases, acts) like. In most cases, in order for an animal to display a certain color, it must have the genes required to produce it. In Cornsnakes, there are two main colors: Red and Black. Each of these are dominant colors. Let me explain to you the importance of Dominance and Recessiveness.

Genes are usually grouped in pairs of two, each pair "coding" for a certain appearance. These pairs are called alleles. There are two different phenotypes, or characteristics you can see for each allele, or gene pair. Letís refer back to the Cornsnake. Like I mentioned earlier, Cornsnakes have Red and Black for main colors. Therefore, this part of their genotype, or the genes that determine WHAT exactly you see, can be shown like this: RRBB. Letís break that down. There are two alleles, or pairs of genes, that you see here. Each of the "R"ís tell the cornsnake to produce the color Red. In cornsnakes, the genes that tell the cornsnake TO produce red are DOMINANT, and we show that they are dominant by capitalizing the "R". The same for the other pair of genes. The "B"ís are capitalized, therefore they too are DOMINANT. This snake is said to be homozygous for the red pigment and for the black pigment. Remember this: the homo- prefix means that there is two genes that are exactly the same. The -hetero prefix means that there are two different genes in the gene pair. Therefore this "RRBB" genotype will produce a phenotype in which the snake produces both the red and black pigments.

This snake has produced both the Red and Black colors, therefore it is considered a normal cornsnake. What would happen if the genotype of this cornsnake was "RRBb"? Letís see.

First, we look at the gene pair for the red pigment. Two "R"s. This snake is homozygous for the phenotype Red. What about the "Bb" though? Well, we have one "B", which we know is telling the snake TO produce the black pigment. What about "b"? Because it isnít capitalized, we know it is RECESSIVE. A "b" gene is telling the cornsnake NOT TO produce the black pigment. Now what? One geneís telling our little snake TO make black, and oneís telling it NOT TO. Who wins? Well, because the "B" gene is DOMINANT, it takes the leadership role, and the snake produces the black pigment. The snake still carries a gene that tells it not to produce black, but that gene is RECESSIVE and is hidden in the phenotype of the snake. Therefore, a cornsnake with a "RRBb" genotype still looks like the wild/normal cornsnake, but it is said to be HETEROZYGOUS for Amelanism. Amelanism is a condition in which an animal does not produce the black pigment. An Amelanistic, or "Amel", cornsnake genotype would look like this: "RRbb". It has two RECESSIVE genes that tell it NOT TO produce black, and since that means there are no genes telling it TO produce black, it doesnít. Look around for a picture of an amelanistic snake. Theyíre neat :P.

Now we know what morphs are. They are animals that have a different phenotype, and therefore genotype than what they would normally look like. As you learn more about the genetics of certain animals, you can predict the outcome of many things, like the outcome of breeding different animals together. You can also see how animals like snow cornsnakes are made. They are Amelanistic, and they are also Anerythristic, or lacking the red pigment. This means they make no major pigments, and are almost pure white, except for the faint cornsnake pattern on them. Google "Snow cornsnake" and see how these guys look!

Well there you have it, your crash course in genetics. I strayed far off topic, but Iím bored, I have nothing better to do, and itís probably going to help you quite a bit if you want to be a herpetologist!

-Trav

08/28/07  07:26pm

BuggyTheClown
View Profile

Message To: Emeraldman   In reference to Message Id: 1423300

Thak you so much for the info.

08/30/07  12:46am

Emeraldman
View Profile

Message To: BuggyTheClown   In reference to Message Id: 1425128

Youíre welcome :D.

08/30/07  06:42pm

Mikayla-rose
View Profile

Message To: Emeraldman   In reference to Message Id: 1425953

wow... thats alot of info lol

11/17/07  08:48pm

Emeraldman
View Profile

Message To: Mikayla-rose   In reference to Message Id: 1517651

I found that with genetics, thereís almost never enough information out there, so Iíd give him a head start. :P

-Trav

12/06/07  08:09pm

ExoSkelet0n
View Profile

Message To: Emeraldman   In reference to Message Id: 1538113

I have a question as well, when i see all the 1.0.0 or 0.5 and all that next tp the snake or animal type, what does it mean exactly? im fairly new to all that and a bit curious ...

07/18/08  09:40pm

Slove1106
View Profile

Message To: ExoSkelet0n   In reference to Message Id: 1801173

0.0.0. - The first number is males, second is female, third is unknown...

Hence 1.2.3 is 1 male, 2 females and 3 unknowns...

07/30/08  06:59pm

Back to Reptile-Morphs-Genetics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area