Rat Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mertal   Icearstorm   Icearstorm   Mertal   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

Mertal
View Profile

Leuticus texas rat snake

Hey guys i just bought a leuticus texas rat snake yesterday and she is still young. I bought her at a reptile convention and i made sure to hold her before i bought her and she was very sweet but when we got home as soon as i opened the container she was given to me in she was very hesitant to come out so i tried to hold her again and she shook her tail at me and tried to bite me. This is not the first time I’ve owned a snake before i had a corn snake for 9 years but she never was even slightly aggressive. I understand that she is probably just scared i understand if she bites me a few times but i really don’t want her to bite me everytime i try to hold her. What should i do? I’ve never been bit before so I’m slightly nervous to try to Hold her again but i refuse to give up

04/11/16  07:56pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Mertal   In reference to Message Id: 2317778

Leuticus texas rat snake

Give her a few days to adjust; she should calm down. She may have seemed "calm" at the reptile convention because she was overwhelmed by all the smells, sights, etc, and now that she’s home there isn’t as much to scare her and she might just be behaving "normally". Has she seen/smelled another snake lately? I don’t know how corns would respond in the same circumstances, but I have a black racer that freaked out and bit me after seeing its reflection. It had been tame for about two months (never even struck at me), and after waiting a few days after the mirror incident it stopped trying to strike at me and calmed down again. If it isn’t at least a bit calmer after a week or so, then there might be something else that’s bothering it.
Hope this helps!

04/12/16  05:56am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2317779

Leuticus texas rat snake

Oops, I meant rat snake.

04/12/16  05:57am

Mertal
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2317779

Leuticus texas rat snake

No she hasn’t seen any other snakes. So should i just leave her alone? I mean i know that she is going too bite me sometime. I’m just going to have to accept it. I know It won’t hurt but since I’ve never been bit it just freaks me out. I don’t want her to be trapped I her aquarium all the time but I’m a little to nervous to hold her again after that happened. My boyfriend picked her up and she rattled her tail at him but didn’t try to bite. Is there anything i can do to try to calm her down? I won’t get rid of her because she’s my baby but it’s just not okay with me for it to stay like this. I want her to be comfortable with me..

04/12/16  04:58pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Mertal   In reference to Message Id: 2317783

Leuticus texas rat snake

Hmm... I’m not sure. I tamed my black racer by handling it almost constantly during the first week (it was probably so overwhelmed that it gave up and stopped striking at me pretty quickly), but with some snakes what they need is some peace and quiet. The method of handling the animal right away tends to be a bit faster, but may yeild less consistent results (some develp phobias or quickly revert back to the fearful/aggressive behavior). On the other hand, giving the snake a lot of time between handling sessions may take quite a bit longer, but should end up with a good result. When you do decide to handle the snake, just make sure not to hold your hand above the snake’s head, as that freaks them out a bit. Also, if possible, pick up the snake from the bottom so it doesn’t think it’s being caught by a predator. Aside from that, I’m not sure what elso to do...

04/15/16  05:24am

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area