Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rat Snakes Forum

Xkabx   Cphill58   Fairy Frog Mother   Xkabx   Xkabx   Snakedrake525   Xkabx   Cphill58   Shaddy   Xkabx   Cphill58   Xkabx   Snakedrake525   Xkabx  
 Member  Message

Xkabx
View Profile

This everglades rat is a nutjob

i got a baby everglades rat on new years day, i left him alone for a few days then started to try handling him, he doesnt want any part of this at all which i understand after all its a snake so ive only done it twice since i got him, but now when i try to feed him he is more interested in biting me than the pinkie im trying to feed him, i wish i had a good enough camera to show this but he cocks back like a friggin cobra and can lunge like half the tank at me, its totally painless and i dont let it phase me but its starting to worry me cause he gets all pissed off at me and then doesnt eat, sometime even grabbing the pinkie away and going right back to cobra at me. anyone who has got an aggressive snake any tips on feeding this psycho?

01/21/11  08:43pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2200164

Feeding tongs....steal some out of the utensil drawer ...teflon is softer than metal if the snake strikes it.

01/22/11  06:39pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2200346

The other thing you can do is use a snake hook and put it into a paper lunchsack with the pinky inside it. Fold over the top inch and put it back in the enclosure. The dark bag acts as a hide where the snake can feel secure and unwatched. When the snake is done eating (or if uninterested) the snake will slither out of the bag.

Good luck!

01/25/11  04:17pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2200994

i have a pair of tongs that are like a rubbery plastic, soft anyways and still no deals. i think i will give that paper bag trick a shot makes perfect sense to me thanks, ill post how it goes, i tried on tuesday maybe i try again thursday or friday and ill let you know how it goes

01/26/11  08:48pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2201257

never needed to try paper bag trick i just made him a few new hides and he found one he likes and i now feed him in there thanks for advice i will try that paper bag trick one day of needed

02/08/11  05:15pm

Snakedrake525
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2203828

Everlades rats are very secretive and Nippy when they are young. Just let him hide and give him plenty of shelters and fresh water. Later on your everlades rat will become more docile. I rarely even saw mine when he was young. Dont worry just let it hide and chill and eat and youll start to see a difference. Heres Nibbs my everlades ratsnake

02/09/11  06:53pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Snakedrake525   In reference to Message Id: 2204025

beautiful snake bro, i think that orange red color is awesome cant wait to see my guy transform into that. my little guy is always hidden, i know its normal as long as he eats i dont mind, but i have begun to handle him once or twice a week and for minimal time but he is already learning me, i mean at first hed whack me for sure, but now he does his angry cobra but no bite most of the time. any idea what i should be feeding this little guy, ive been doing a 2.5g pinkie twice a week im just wondering if he could go bigger cause the last one he ate didnt even phase him, usually he eats then hides for the night but he ate it and was seen moving around all night?

02/11/11  09:00pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2204439

Your rat snake can easily eat a fuzzy rat ...9 - 19 grams...maybe a pup rat at 20-29 grms.
Look up the description on Rodent Pro.com
rodent pro
And if you can’t get those I would move up to hopper mice or weanlings. Currently you are feeding small pinkies...thats close to as small as they get.

Cp

02/12/11  01:49am

Shaddy
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2204475

mines about to shed cant upload photos she dont like light off camras

02/12/11  03:52am

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2204475

when i first got him he only weighed 11 grams, that was new years day. i havent weighed him since then, trying to not stress him if i dont need to. you say 9-19 grams, that sounds huge. is there like a body weight percentage i should be trying for, like when he was 10 grams and he ate a 1 grammer thats 10% of his body weight is that enuff, i have a few pets that eat mice so im breeding them and i can try any size maybe tonight i try bigger.

02/12/11  09:54am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2204499

The maximum size to feed is 1.5 x the thickest body area......so the same size as the biggest part of his body would be very reasonable.

02/12/11  03:29pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2204536

yeah i figured you were talking about the other snake pic. i fed him a 3.2 gram pinkie thats about as big as he can eat for now any how

02/13/11  10:20pm

Snakedrake525
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2204816

I would hold off on the handling til your snakes a little older. When mine was a juvenile he looked just like yours like a copperish color with Grey saddles and very very defensive. Now hes bright orange and as docile as can be. Just let him chill everglades rats are psychos when their young just leave him alone or he may start to refuse prey. Good luck this is a pic when my boys color first changed it will happen quicker than you think.

02/15/11  08:37pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Snakedrake525   In reference to Message Id: 2205194

that is soo cool, you can faintly see the splotches but the orange loooks amazing. my guy has shed twice and at first i thought i saw a difference but i dont really see a noticeable change yet. i have been keeping handling to a minimum, and already i think hes starting to trust me, i used to hold him and itd take a bit (or bite) for him to calm down now once i got him hes chill so thats awesome. just an all around cool snake.

02/16/11  03:02pm

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area