Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rat Snakes Forum

Cincinnatux   Cincinnatux   Kels88   Shady drizzle   Rolandslf   SAB49   Rolandslf   Wacko Jacko   CrotalusFan  
 Member  Message

Cincinnatux
View Profile

Please help identify this hatchling from the Ohio River Valley area

Last weekend, I was visiting cousins when one of them discovered a snake in the basement. They didn’t want it there, so I agreed to take it with me. I live on 5 acres of wet woodlands in the midst of a 40-acre wood, and there’s decent diversity in the habitat (eastern box turtles, pileated woodpeckers, red-bellied woodpeckers, whitetail deer, great horned owls, red-shouldered hawks, hummingbirds, woodchucks, and the usual assortment of raccoons, oppossums, moles, mice, squirrels, etc. found in the Ohio River Valley.

So the snake - currently named Agatha (after the Greek Agathodaemon, a serpent spirit believed to guard vineyards and good times) - is now ensconced in a 40-gallon aquarium with a metal lid that clamps over the sides with a water dish, a plastic hide, a paper bag hide, a large empty bowl, a small water dish, a large stick, and cyprus mulch. Agatha doesn’t seem to like the mulch, though, so I’ll probably swap it out for Aspen soon.

Anyhow, I’m no herpetologist and cannot figure out if Agatha is a rat snake or a bull snake. Here are photos of her head, side markings, and tail. Sorry I couldn’t get better pics, but I wanted to leave Aggie unmolested in her new habitat until I can get a heating pad under one end of the aquarium and start her eating pinkie mice.

Behaviorally, when approached for the first time in the basement, Agatha presented with classic bull snake behavior: coiled back into s-shape, rattled tail tip, and lunged a few times in an effort to intimidate, but calmed immediately upon being picked up. Overall length is about 10 or 11 inches, though that’s a guess - I’ve avoided stretching her out. (No, I don’t know Agatha’s sex, but I don’t think the snake will feel offended even if male.)

Anyhow, as I’m totally new to snake care, I’m also open to recommendations/corrections. E.G., if cyprus mulch is dangerous, let me know and I’ll get it out of the tank ASAP (I’ve got a bag of Aspen shavings on-hand, but that was after I had her situated in the mulch). She was captured Saturday evening, had a modest (wet) bowel movement Saturday night or Sunday morning, and has not eaten since. I put a tadpole in her drinking bowl on the off-chance she’d find it worth eating, but she’s ignored it. I have a bag of frozen small pinkie mice and I plan to feed her one after I get a heating pad under one end of the tank. Please also advise if I’m going about the whole feeding thing incorrectly.

Many thanks in advance!

05/18/10  10:20am

Cincinnatux
View Profile

Message To: Cincinnatux   In reference to Message Id: 2148460

Update: The house temperature is only 67; with a heating pad now under the left end of the terrarium, the thermometer there reads 86. Agatha spent a few minutes on the warm side, but lost interest and returned to the ’cold’ side of the terrarium. She does not appear agitated and moves as if she’s content with the rather cool temperatures on the far end of the terrarium.

05/18/10  01:26pm

Kels88
View Profile

I’d guess a rat snake- probably great plains rat. Bull snakes tend to have really big heads. but I suppose either is possible!

Juvenile rat

Great Plains Rat

05/18/10  01:34pm

Shady drizzle
View Profile

its a black rat snake

07/07/10  07:46pm

Rolandslf
View Profile

Message To: Shady drizzle   In reference to Message Id: 2161027

That there is a Great Plains Rat Snake.

She will eat pinkie mice, just make sure that they are properly defrosted. She may have a problem with taking Frozen Thawed, especially since she is Wild Caught, I would try to give her a live pink every 5 days to start off with.

07/09/10  08:11am

SAB49
View Profile

Black Rat, not Great Plains. I have both as pets.

07/09/10  10:53pm

Rolandslf
View Profile

Message To: SAB49   In reference to Message Id: 2161517

I still go with Great Plains. I also keep and breed both.

A pick of my Great Plains.

I will have to take a pic of my Black Rat and post it to show the difference in colour and patterning.

I hope that the originator of the thread does not take offence at me posting pics or debating the issue, he does however want an accurate identification.

07/10/10  12:45pm

Wacko Jacko
View Profile

Message To: Rolandslf   In reference to Message Id: 2161609

Hey quick question how big do they get?

07/17/10  04:16am

CrotalusFan
View Profile

Message To: Wacko Jacko   In reference to Message Id: 2163067

I really don’t think it’s a great plains. They have more pattern on their heads. A black rat snake tends to have darker saddles, but that doesn’t rule either out.

Either way, maybe 3-5 feet. It depends on quite a few factors, the main one being how much it eats.

09/03/10  09:58am

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area