Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rat Snakes Forum

Missa249   JackAsp   Missa249   Tupi1   Missa249  
 Member  Message

Missa249
View Profile

Yellow Rat

We have had our yellow rat for over 2 years now, at the same time we got him we also purchased a corn snake, they did very well together, but a few months ago we lost the corn to what we believe was a stressfull cross state move. We recently found a brown water snake in our lake, not having anywhere to put this suprisingly tame snake we put him with the rat, they seem to be taking to eachother pretty well, but wanted to find out if this will cause undo stress to our rat. Or even unnessary death, as the water snake has no emotional ties with us like our rat does would prefer to be sure he is safe and stays happy.
Thanks for the advice in advance

02/03/10  01:59am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Missa249   In reference to Message Id: 2119914

Yellow Rat

Water snakes eat a lot of high parasite items like fish and frogs, so having a wild-caught one pooping in the rat snake’s drinking water is not a healthy idea.

02/10/10  04:32pm

Missa249
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2122233

Yellow Rat

Ok, thank you for the info.. we will get him out immediatly! Like i said as much as we dont really want the yellow rat anymore, or even the wild snake (ew) i dont want anything bad to happen to either of them!

02/11/10  12:48pm

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: Missa249   In reference to Message Id: 2122471

Yellow Rat

Wish I lived close Id take that yellow rat off your hands.My very first snake over twenty years ago was a yellow rat and he/she was really great.Ive been looking for another one and cant seem to find one.

02/14/10  02:54pm

Missa249
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2123386

Yellow Rat

Yeah the only prob with getting rid of him is that he is my sons, and he has had him since he was 4 (2 years) And if its of any help, Yellow Rats are at every petstore around us at least that carry any reptile.. i think we may have gotten him at a regurlar petsmart or petco.. i dont remember been 2 years..

02/14/10  10:54pm

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area