Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rat Snakes Forum

Africabound   Reptilefreak23   Dark_zero_1_0_1   CrotalusFan  
 Member  Message

Africabound
View Profile

Differences?

Hey, I am never on this forum, but I am looking at maybe getting another snake. I already have a butter corn and a pueblan milk snake. There is a reptile show coming to my city in November, and the previous times I’ve gone they had a good selection of rat snakes. I know that corn snakes are similar to rat snakes, but I would like to know what some of the differences are between the two species. I mean like size, temp. requirements, etc. Is the care of corn snakes and rat snakes very different? And also, does anyone have a favorite type of rat snake? Are any known to be aggressive or particularly difficult? Thanks.

08/28/09  11:55pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Africabound   In reference to Message Id: 2064910

Differences?

Rat snake care is the same as a corn snakes care except they get bigger and prefer more climbing space. As for your aggresive question, it all depends on which snake you buy (handle it before buying), and how much effort you are willing to put into its taming.

08/29/09  03:11pm

Dark_zero_1_0_1
View Profile

Message To: Africabound   In reference to Message Id: 2064910

Differences?

i have 2 different species of rats right now i have 2 taiwan beauty rats and 3 texas rats and they all rather tame and it was rather easy for me to get them to where they are now but 3 of the 5 were very agressive when i got them and from what i have heard most not all but most rats are rather agressive by nature and that was very true for all 3 of my texas rats but my female taiwan wasn’t very bad from the start and my male has never even struck at me but i got him as an adult so someone else tamed him and as for a favorite i love my taiwans and am rather fond of red-tailed green rats but have never owned one of those so i have no idea on their temper

10/04/09  06:29pm

CrotalusFan
View Profile

Message To: Dark_zero_1_0_1   In reference to Message Id: 2080280

Differences?

I personally like Black rat snakes. They get pretty large (6 feet is fairly common), and are very interesting.

If you get a baby you get to watch it grow out of that pattern and into an awesome, large, black snake. They are normally great feeders, and are pretty tough snakes.

Besides cage size the care is very similar to a corn snake.

02/16/10  06:09pm

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area