Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons Forum

Neni   Fire Fox   Neni  
 Member  Message

Neni
View Profile

Please help me,

I have had my ball python for about 7 months and everything was going fine, he would eat and shed regularly till one time that my boyfriend decided to leave the mouse walk around the box, the mouse scared my python and ever since then he hasn’t eaten regularly. He has lost a tremendous amount of weight not only that but he has also gotten constipated several times already and now I have lately noticed his stomach turn pinkish reddish. I don’t know what to do since there is no real herpetologist in el paso and the general vet doesn’t really know much about reptiles. Please give me tips on how to get him to start eating and get rid of his constipation.

04/12/11  02:01am

Fire Fox
View Profile

Message To: Neni   In reference to Message Id: 2214017

Please help me,

When you say constipated, do you mean that he is straining or that he just hasn’t been going at all. One of my BPs will go about once every 2-3 weeks, sometimes once a month. This depends on the size, number, and frequency of meals. If you truly think it’s constipated, a few minutes soaking in some lukewarm water may help. For the future, don’t allow any live food to just roam around with the BP. It can injure or even kill the snake. If the snake doesn’t want it, take it out and offer it again the next week. As for the reddish stomach, it sounds like he is getting ready to shed. Some snakes will not eat when they are going through the shedding process. After he sheds, you can try to offer him a meal. Make sure the humidity is high enough to help ensure a nice shed. Hope this helps.

04/15/11  10:30am

Neni
View Profile

Message To: Fire Fox   In reference to Message Id: 2214518

Please help me,

Well it turns out that he did shed after his stomach was pink, so you were right :)
And by constipation I mean that he has not pooped in three weeks almost a month now.

So thanks for the help :)

04/17/11  08:54pm

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area