Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons Forum

Tomias01   Tomias01   Dracen knights   Tomias01   Dracen knights   MarkJohnson   Tomias01   Dracen knights  
 Member  Message

Tomias01
View Profile

Enclosure size

Hey all, I am new to pythons, and a guy i know that works at petsmart is selling his carpet. Its seven foot long and was just wondering how large an enclosure i should build for it. I asked him but i do not think he nows his stuff as he says the python is happy in a 20 gal long aquarium. I know this isnt right because my coastal hatchling is only 2 1/2 feet and thats what i keep him in, i couldn’t imagine what that poor snake is going through.

please help as i would love to rescue the snake from its current owner, i just want to make sure it isnt going to be worse off here.

12/23/10  09:19pm

Tomias01
View Profile

Message To: Tomias01   In reference to Message Id: 2194078

Enclosure size

Well, the guy dropped the snake off today in a large sterilite tub he had drilled holes in and put an undertank heater on. I already have a nice boaphile tank on order for it and that should be here in a week or so, and heres pics of J.D. the carpet python.

I wouldn’t normally use gloves, but the snake was rather testy and had to change the newspaper in the tub. Only struck once though and when i got him/her in my hands he/she calmed down immediately.

01/09/11  06:06pm

Dracen knights
View Profile

Message To: Tomias01   In reference to Message Id: 2197335

Enclosure size

very nice looking snake.... btw to help keeping from getting struck you might want to get a snake hook... touch him with it for a minute then slowly reach in and grab him by his body...none of my snakes have struck at me sense I started this routine.

well man I tend to give my snakes very larger tanks... I have a 4’ jaguar carpet in a 75 gallon tank and I have a 6’6" iran jaya mix in a 130 gallon tank...and that’s just 2 of my 7 snakes... and in the next few months I should be buying a house and tuning one room into a snake rack room and as of right now my plan is to make the smallest tank 4’x4’x3’ and the largest tank which would be for my red tail boa will be 8-14’ long. but for that snake anything would be better then a 20 gallon tank....but from what I have seen your tank should be 2/3’s the length of the snake

01/09/11  08:45pm

Tomias01
View Profile

Message To: Dracen knights   In reference to Message Id: 2197361

Enclosure size

Right now, hes in the sterilite tub, unfortunately I wasnt expecting him this soon and was hoping the boaphile would get here before i got him. the guy that got left him here actually left him on the porch in the tub. I was very surprised he/she was still alive.

01/09/11  11:27pm

Dracen knights
View Profile

Message To: Tomias01   In reference to Message Id: 2197388

Enclosure size

wow sounds like he will be much better off with you... please post pics when he gets his new home...

01/10/11  08:14pm

MarkJohnson
View Profile

Message To: Dracen knights   In reference to Message Id: 2197522

Enclosure size

Why do people think thes snakes do fine in normal tanks? They are basically an arboreal snake, not 100% but 90% would be a good example. They need tall enclosures, with many places to climb.
Think of them as large green tree pythons, would you stick a chondro in a breeder tank?

5ft tall
3ft wide
3 feet deep

That is the perfect cage at the least for a single adult carpet, and bigger is better.

01/14/11  11:23pm

Tomias01
View Profile

Message To: MarkJohnson   In reference to Message Id: 2198437

Enclosure size

I appreciate the information, I have since cancelled the order on the tank and am in the process of building a wooden enclosure. I honestly didn’t know they were that arboreal, i knew they liked climbing space but didn’t realize it was a necessity. Please forgive my lack of experience in the matter. As it is I really do wish i could’ve of gotten the snake a few weeks later than I did, but something came up and the guy just dropped the snake off. I probably am not ready for an adult of an unfamiliar species, and I am humble enough to admit that I know I am not the smartest or most knowledgeable, but if i hadn’t offered to take the snake the guy was going to kill it as where he was moving has reptile size ordinances and would be illegal. I just couldn’t let that happen. So any and all helpful information and constructive criticism is appreciated and accepted. Sorry for the wall of text but just wanted you to know the situation.

Tomias

01/18/11  04:13am

Dracen knights
View Profile

Message To: Tomias01   In reference to Message Id: 2199106

Enclosure size

sounds smart to me... as I have said if you have questions or concerns feel free to message me or heck message me and I’ll give you my number...

as far as the tank goes sounds like your doing the right thing.. I’m moving to a new and bigger place in the next month and each of my snakes will be getting a new and larger home also.right now I’m thinking about doing them each a 4 foot deep 4 foot wide 6-8 foot tall tank but I don’t know that depends on what room we make into a snake room....either way I’m dedicating 1 full room to my snakes...

01/18/11  10:56am

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area