Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons Forum

TALLMF63   Scimma   Timmay   TALLMF63   Qqqqz   Tupi1   Keirax  
 Member  Message

TALLMF63
View Profile

keeping ball pythons and columbian together

i currently have to ball pythons about 21 in long, in a 55 gal tank. i want to buy a Colombian boa and its about the same size as my ball pythons. is it possible that i can house them in the same tank with out any problems.

06/20/10  11:35pm

Scimma
View Profile

Message To: TALLMF63   In reference to Message Id: 2157213

This is a matter of opinion, it can be done without problems as long as all snakes are comparible in size. But I as Most, do not recommend it! I try to keep snakes seperate. (at least one month is a minimum for newly aquired snakes for a quarantine period) but after that you can. but again it is not recommended for a variety of reasons, including health concerns, feeding etc..

06/21/10  01:33am

Timmay
View Profile

Message To: TALLMF63   In reference to Message Id: 2157213

Short answer, no. Honestly, most people would even tell you not to house your ball pythons together, which I would have to agree with. Snakes are solitary animals. If you can’t afford to house them separately, don’t get another snake. Use the money to get your ball pythons set up separately.

06/21/10  12:44pm

TALLMF63
View Profile

Message To: Timmay   In reference to Message Id: 2157302

thanks so much for the info i was looking for just a temp solution to the fact that i dont have a tank for the boa. i have not yet purchased the boa nor will i until i buy its own enclosure. thanks

06/22/10  09:01pm

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: TALLMF63   In reference to Message Id: 2157728

Ball pythons are boring anyway. I would get rid of both of them and get a boa.

06/22/10  10:02pm

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2157733

You could make a temporary divider for the tank with a piece of plastic or even sturdy cardboard.Or you could put the ball python in a plastic bin, they seem to do okay in bins since they are less active then boas.Just make sure to poke ventilation holes in it and get the temps right.

07/24/10  06:55pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2164800

Its not recommended to keep multiple snakes in one enclosure, how ever Ball Pythons are not territorial like most snakes are and are able to get housed together as long as they are feed properly in separate areas. Yes they are solitary reptiles but by taking them out of the wild we have taken away most of these snakes normal wants and needs. As long as its a big tank with many hiding places for the snakes to separate from each other they get along fine. As the other poster said you should try and get them their own cages just for the fact that they could for some reason or another decide they have had enough of the other snake and get in a fight or if you do not know the sex of your snakes you could end u with eggs. As i said be for in a large cage with many hiding areas housing Ball Pythons together as long as their sizes are close together is alright but may not be the best thing for the health of both the reptiles. And as for the statement that Ball Pythons are boring, thats a matter of opinion, and a matter of the snake. Both of my Ball Pythons are far from boring, they both have unique personalities and are interesting to watch. In my opinion snakes in general are a bit boring in a way but ive grown to love and adore their personalities. :)

07/24/10  07:53pm

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area