Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons Forum

Mepsminnow   ReptileJay   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

Mepsminnow
View Profile

Swiching from live to frozen/thawed

i just got my baby ball to eat for the first time after three long weeks and a visit to the vet but it absolutely refused frozen/thawed no matter what i tried.any advice on transitioning him to pre-killed and how many feeding should i give it before i start

03/30/10  09:49pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Mepsminnow   In reference to Message Id: 2137382

I would make sure it has at least 3-5 meals in it before you try the switch, more is better. Once it is eating well, try offering fresh killed off of tongs. If it takes those, then you can try switching to frozen. Let the frozen thaw on top of its cage so it sits there and gets the scent the whole time. This usually gets their feeding response going. Usually if they’ll take freshly killed, its not long before they take frozen/thawed.

04/14/10  01:24am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2140458

Put a live one and a dead one in a deli cup. Then add the snake, put the cap on, and cover it with something to make it all dark. Do not even look for half an hour. Usually, if left alone, the snake will eat the live and then KEEP eating. Continue including one live one, increasing the number of dead ones as the snake grows, until you are comfortable enough with the snake’s feeding response to skip the live one.

05/04/10  01:25am

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area