Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons Forum

WillyZOOM   Qqqqz   JackAsp   Removed By System   Dragon Lover   Deadvenom-x  
 Member  Message

WillyZOOM
View Profile

Burmese python-size and food

I want to get an albino burmese python as my next snake,
but until I move out, I do not have space for a huge snake so I was going to get an albino boa instead,
then someone said that it was possible to keep male burmese pythons around 9 feet and as big as a boa, and feed them x large rats I think.

Is this true?
Or is keeping a burmese that small unhealthy?

03/20/10  03:50pm

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: WillyZOOM   In reference to Message Id: 2134528

What?

03/20/10  07:48pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2134589

Really, if you want a nine foot snake, I’d say go with a female boa from a large subspecies. Different individuals will have different metabolisms and growth rates, so there is no solid "this much food will cause this much growth" rule. You won’t want to overly starve your male python, obviously, but if go a little too far the other way then he might end up fifteen feet long before you realize what hit you! My policy is to never get anything that I wouldn’t have room for in the worst case growth scenerio. (Which is why I’ve never had anything larger than a carpet python, lol)
Or, think outside the box on ways to make space. One guy here posted a picture once of an enormous retic cage that he only has room for because it’s strong enough for him to heep his boxspring and mattress on top of! Sometimes the most desperate visionaries are the most brilliant.

03/29/10  10:46pm

Removed By System
View Profile

Message To: WillyZOOM   In reference to Message Id: 2134528

Pythons

Removed By System

06/18/10  09:25pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Removed   In reference to Message Id: 2156791

Pythons

Hi,

There is what is called a ’Dwart Reticulated Python’. These only grow between 6 to 10 feet, females being bigger. Although they say some can get to 15 feet. We just rescued a male dwarf who is about 9 feet long. He ate two jumbo rats his first feeding with us.

Do a bit of research on this......even a nine foot snake is huge and very different to handle than a normal four or six footer.

Edel

07/07/10  10:18am

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2160897

Pythons

I think you are referring to Super Dwarfs.... Dwarfs still get to about 15’

07/11/10  04:23pm

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area