Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons Forum

Pyrrex   ReptileJay   Pyrrex   ReptileJay   Nextreefer420   Pyrrex   Pyrrex   ReptileJay   Pyrrex   ReptileJay   Pyrrex   ReptileJay   Pyrrex   ReptileJay   Pyrrex   ReptileJay   Sra   ReptileJay   Cerberus  
 Member  Message

Pyrrex
View Profile

How do i keep humidity up?

i just got a great jungle carpet python and i have moss in the cage and spray it down and like an hour later it is back to like a humidity of 50. what should i do? it seems like a fogger would keep the humidity too high but idk... any ideas?

10/03/09  06:28pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Pyrrex   In reference to Message Id: 2079952

Do you have a screen top? If I need to keep high humidity in my cages with screen tops, I cover either all, most, or partial with common kitchen plastic wrap, scotch taped to the sides. I fold the sheet of plastic wrap over on itself about 3-5 times to keep make it more durable. With my GTP, I had to buy a sheets of glass to cover the top to keep the humidity above 60%. Worked well so far. Spray it down, humidity gets above 90 and takes about 12 hours to get down to sixty percent. then at 15 hours all lights and CHE turn off and the heat pad under the tank kicks the humidity back up to 95% until the light comes back on. Oh yeah, also put an UTH under your water dish. This will help a lot. I don’t know what you’re using for a heat source, but a 5-10 gallon heat pad will work just fine for this.

10/03/09  07:11pm

Pyrrex
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2079969

yea i have a screen top.. i will cover half of it wish something that looks good and not temporary tomorrow. i forgot all about doing that! im watching my carpet right now he is soo active and i love his color!

he is my first python

i have an albino nelson milk snake, colombian red tail boa, and now a jungle carpet python

10/03/09  10:26pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Pyrrex   In reference to Message Id: 2080015

Glass works great, and isn’t that expensive. I paid 10 bucks for the two sheets that cover the top of my exo-terra vivarium for Tiberius (GTP). If you use lights as a heat source, you need to get peices of tempered glass. Decide what humidity you need. I don’t know what it is for carpets, but if you need above 60 at all times, then do what i did, and get the glass to be just about 1/4 inch short on all sides. It will give good cover and allow just enough circulation to keep the cage from misting up.
my green tree is my first python too. i have a columbian boa, honduran milk, pueblan milk, and the GTP, plus d. azureus poison dart frogs.
Frog

Ramses

Nero

Tiberius

I don’t have a pic of solomon (apricot pueblan) cuz he’s shedding right now.

10/04/09  02:23am

Nextreefer420
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2080086

carpets really don’t need a high humidity, except when shedding. i keep mine at 40-50 and 60-70 when he’s about to shed. and mine has had perfect sheds so far

live plants work great for humidity
coconut fiber also holds humidity very well, but can be kinda messy

i wouldnt use a fogger because i can see that causing respiratory problems

10/04/09  04:31am

Pyrrex
View Profile

Message To: Nextreefer420   In reference to Message Id: 2080100

yeah but i heard in multiple places that jungles need a humidity of 60-70. im pretty sure for all the other kinds of carpets you dont need high humidity

10/04/09  10:12am

Pyrrex
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2080086

and to ReptileJay,

yea i use lights and today i will probably go to the store and get some plexi-glass or something like that.
thanks!

10/04/09  10:18am

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Pyrrex   In reference to Message Id: 2080143

Only use plexi glass if you’re not going to have it cover the whole top. It will melt. find a glass shop in your area and get the tempered glass. As far as humidity for carpets, I have also heard they need higher humidity as well. As a matter of fact, there is one snake breeding farm (Spruce Nubble Farm) that believes GTP’s and carpets are pretty much the same snake, and even breed them together. They call them Carpondros, and they treat them and carpets like GTPs (high humidity of 90% getting no lower than 60%) But I don’t have one (want one) so I’m not going to get in that debate. Glass works great, if you think you don’t need 60%, plastic wrap covering about 50-60% of the top will work great.

10/04/09  12:01pm

Pyrrex
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2080179

i love carpondros i have seen some before it looks like a jungle carpet but instead of yellow theres grreen.. i want one so bad. that might be my next snake

10/04/09  12:42pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Pyrrex   In reference to Message Id: 2080188

I want one too, or a carpet, but I’m not allowed to get any more herps. My wife has put the brakes on me. Probably for the best, or I’d have reptile cages covering the entire house.

10/04/09  05:36pm

Pyrrex
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2080260

yea my dad says i can only have 3 snakes....sadly im getting out of small snakes so im trying to get rid of or trade something for my albino nelson milk

wow now that my jungle carpet settled in i can see why he was so cheap... he doesnt stop biting!

10/04/09  06:14pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Pyrrex   In reference to Message Id: 2080274

I’ve heard they can be aggressive. Whenever i can get one, i want a hatchling.

10/04/09  08:44pm

Pyrrex
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2080330

yea he was 1 year old last march....i realized he only bites or ready to attack when hes in his cage... when hes out hes fine

10/04/09  09:45pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Pyrrex   In reference to Message Id: 2080348

probably food aggression. Do you feed in his cage? If so, that’s the reason. He associates movement in his cage with food.

10/04/09  11:05pm

Pyrrex
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2080379

well i didnt feed him yet... thats probably what the old breeder did.... should i start feeding him somewhere else?

10/05/09  06:14am

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Pyrrex   In reference to Message Id: 2080440

I don’t know, I’ve never had a jungle... None of my snakes will eat outside of their cage.. I can’t even attempt with the GTP. My son feeds both of his ball pythons out of the cage, easily. I’d try it if I were you. If he’s young, it could be that he’s just feisty and will calm down with age and handling. most hatchlings get nervous and try to squirm away from you and will try to strike defensively to get you away from him. good luck man.

10/05/09  08:50am

Sra
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2080379

Quote:

probably food aggression. Do you feed in his cage? If so, that’s the reason. He associates movement in his cage with food.

That is a myth... snakes do not "associate" food with being in their cage.
The snake most likely just feels threatened because a giant hand is reaching in to grab him out. Regular calm handling with proper husbandry and good hiding places will get this behavior to stop.

10/05/09  03:04pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Sra   In reference to Message Id: 2080533

food aggression is not a myth. snakes will become aggressive towards movement thinking its food. you don’t have to feed the snake out of their cage to avoid this, but you do have to hold the snake consistently between feedings. snakes associate movement with food, and a snake that is fed in his enclosure, without being handled, will associate any movement in his/her cage with prey items. this is most common in young snakes, because they haven’t been handled.

10/05/09  04:10pm

Cerberus
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2080562

I fixed my pythons food aggresion ( not a myth) by putting her in a plastic bin to feed after three or four feedings she stopped striking my hand when I reached in her cage

07/14/10  02:48am

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area