Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons Forum

Shiftylarry   OwlsHaveEyes   Shiftylarry   Mdf   Jon1974   Adietz   Qqqqz   Allenbj1   Rob1968  
 Member  Message

Shiftylarry
View Profile

New White Lipped Python (Black Phase)

Here is my new baby black phase white lipped python. I called everywhere. Exotic pets Las Vegas said they hadn’t seen one in 2 years. Other places didn’t even know what it was. It took me a good while to track one down, but I finally picked one up from my buddies at East Bay Vivarium. I believe it is a girl, but I’m not sure. For those of you that aren’t aware, the most commonly seen white lipped python is the gold phase. They are considerably nastier, have a golden, yellow or brown body, and stay around 6 ft in length. The black phase on the other hand is very calm, has a black body, and gets up to 9 ft. They are great snakes. I recommend them highly. Not much in the pattern category, but they have active, curious personalities, and they have an incredible sheen under the sunlight. The skin is also very soft. I’ll admit I’m not much of a snake person. This is the first snake I’ve owned in two years. But this bugger is changing my mind.

Here are some terrible pictures which do her no justice:

The is a bad attempt to get an example of the incredible sheen:

This is the cage. Very simple storage bin set up. I cost me about 20 bucks in all to put together. But what is lacks in appearance, it makes up for in function. It holds heat and humidity much more effectively than a screen top enclosure. To help with insulation, I added some "Great Stuff" (liquid expanding foam) to the bottom. Ventilation is in the back.

On the inside as you can see is a pothos plant, dirt and a branch. The plant takes up half of the enclosure and provides a lots of moisture as well (which is essential to this species which is prone to skin problems). On the branch side of the enclosure it is dry and hot. I threw in some moss so that she could hide in the hot side of the enclosure as well. They seem to be very timid snakes so it’s important, in my opinion, that they be able to thermoregulate and hide at the same time.

As well as showing off my new snake, I wanted to make the point that snakes require more than just a box with newspaper and a heating pad. I think much of the literature/caresheet information out there is provided by snake breeders. We should consider that these people are in a competitive business where they have to find ways to cut expenses as much as possible to make a profit. Their aim is most often to provide only the minimum living conditions required to produce offspring. Of course there are plenty of exceptions, that just seems to be the trend in my experience.

Comments are appreciated :)
-Chris

01/18/08  12:10am

OwlsHaveEyes
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1583287

Beautiful snake! The only thing more beautiful is seeing it in person.. I wish I had one of these. How much was it?

01/18/08  08:28am

Shiftylarry
View Profile

Message To: OwlsHaveEyes   In reference to Message Id: 1583449

It was $450 plus $65 shipping. Definitely not cheap for a guys who hasn’t been into snakes for a while. But, I wanted to make sure I got something to hold my interests. Thanks for the compliments.

01/18/08  10:47am

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1583540

Very nice shiftylarry.

mdf

01/18/08  05:30pm

Jon1974
View Profile

hi my name is Jonathan and i have 3 of these guys 2 6 ft males and a 4 ft female.They have very different attitudes but they are all great.I am wondering if you or anyone knows of a full grown female available anywhere.cool snake!

07/01/08  07:06pm

Adietz
View Profile

Message To: Jon1974   In reference to Message Id: 1779945

I know that the previous post was a long time ago but I own a 6ft female black phase if you are interested because I am moving and trying to find a new home for her. I have pictures available if you are interested.

01/02/10  08:53pm

Qqqqz
View Profile

Very nice. I just got myself a water python in October. I’ve always liked the white lips too.

01/03/10  11:53pm

Allenbj1
View Profile

Message To: Adietz   In reference to Message Id: 2110210

I know this post is from a long time ago but did you rehome your snake? And does anyone know where I can get a black phase snake?

10/08/10  10:19pm

Rob1968
View Profile

Message To: Adietz   In reference to Message Id: 2110210

very interested what sort of cash are you looking for

02/23/11  04:24pm

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area