Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Pythons-Reticulated Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crizerddude   Takahiro111   Takahiro111   Cphill58   Cphill58   Crizerddude   Takahiro111   Crizerddude   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Crizerddude
View Profile

Feeding confusion young retic

I have a 3 1/2 ft dwarf retic who’s eating 2 adult mice per feeding what is the next size food up? because the small rats are insanely bigger then the mice. will he surprise me?

11/17/15  06:09pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Crizerddude   In reference to Message Id: 2315753

If the small rats are too big then get a XL mouse they are equivalent to weaned rats.

11/18/15  12:16am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Crizerddude   In reference to Message Id: 2315753

The prey shouldn’t be no bigger then the thicker part of his body

11/18/15  12:20am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315755

You will be amazed at the food item a retic can handle

If you respond back I will elaborate. You can feed larger than the width of the greatest part of the body ...

Tak , you had a burm ...you should know that these pythons are amazing eaters.

11/18/15  09:48am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315758

To answer your question specifically
Rat crawlers are the next size up.... sometimes called weanlings ....eyes barely opened and just starting to eat solid food

Look at the website called RODENT PRO for pictures and weights of any food item for sale

mice are 18-24 grams until you jump up to EX lrg mice 25-45 grams

rats weanlings are 30 grams up to 45 ( I feed these to corn snakes approx 3-4 ft long and 2 fingers thick. if they want more I feed 2 of the weanlings)

small rats are 45 - 85

rodent pro

11/18/15  09:57am

Crizerddude
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315759

thanks

11/18/15  04:33pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

This site taught me new things since I been here and made me get into reptiles more but before I knew about this site and was an inexperienced owner I was always told not to feed no bigger then the thickest part of your snake so I always researched and it wasn’t advised to feed too big of prey but I know my burm can handle large prey I just don’t want him to regurgitate his meal. But hey I’ll take your advice your more experienced and knowledge on these animals is endless so I take as much advice as I can. It may come in handy when I start college lol.

11/18/15  10:12pm

Crizerddude
View Profile

can you elaborate on how much bigger then the widest part?

11/20/15  08:54am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Crizerddude   In reference to Message Id: 2315798

okay , my first retic that I got , I adopted it, it was 9 feet long. I was shopping for a boa constrictor but this guy was being shipped off to Iraq and he really needed somebody to take the snake so l agreed to pay the 50.00 adoption fee.

The previous owner admitted that it was very hungry and he used the snake hook to retrieve it from enclosure. The snake gave a multiple strike response but as soon as he was done striking he settled right down and we could handle him.
I was pretty concerned because this is my first large snake and I didn’t want to have him striking at me every time I got him out of the cage.

At the time I was only breeding rats I didn’t have any rabbits yet so I fed him like 4,5 large rats every week.

finally when I was able to buy rabbits at a reasonable price I started with 3-4 lb. the four pounder was exactly the same diameter as his body and he was eating and pooping within about 4 days...5 tops.

when I finally got some five and six pounder rabbits it was considerably larger than the snakes diameter and he ate those and looked like a stuffed prehistoric snake that you would see on television eating a giraffe. What in trying to say is I didn’t think he could do it...the 6 lb rabbit.

But he did take the large food items and he never regurges. In all the time I’ve had him since 2009-10.

When I buy frozen rabbits I tell the breeder, no less than 4 lb...no more than 6 lb. So I get a mixture.
now he is 11 ft 2" and possibly still growing.

Another example of the food item would be, no lump vs. Seeing the scales stretched out and space in between the scales at the belly area.

On another forum, Facebook " Retic Nation"
I read that younger tics should be feed smaller items every 3-4 days.
Find the group...ask to join. So you can get more advice.

11/21/15  11:17am

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area