Pythons-Reticulated Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amur   Amur   Ublaz   Schuman   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Amur
View Profile

Should I be worried?

Hello repticzone. Just joined yesterday but I have a few questions on keeping retics. Long story short, I’m expecting a baby girl in July. Probably by late September or late October, I was probably going to get a baby tiger retic, preferably a dwarf or superdwarf if I can find one by then. Their size doesn’t bother me at all but should I be worried for my baby girl? I know babies usually have weak immune systems and I’d hate myself if she got sick or anything like that. I really just want to be on the safe side and want to make sure as long as my hygiene is good, which it is, could I still possibly keep one or any reptile at that?

Another thing, I won’t have 2 bedroom apartment until around November so the baby retic will be residing in my room but will be kept in a secure enclosure. Bad idea or is it fine as long as I’m keeping I’m washing my hands before and after handling, after cleaning the enclosure, etc?

03/13/13  01:40pm

Amur
View Profile

Message To: Amur   In reference to Message Id: 2293684

Should I be worried?

One more thing, the enclosure won’t be kept near the crib or any of her belongings. I have a fairly large room so his enclosure will be in a corner.

03/13/13  01:44pm

Ublaz
View Profile

Message To: Amur   In reference to Message Id: 2293685

Should I be worried?

I would just be very careful to wash your hands well before holding the baby after handling the snake, especially after cleaning it’s cage.

03/24/13  08:50pm

Schuman
View Profile

Message To: Ublaz   In reference to Message Id: 2294262

Should I be worried?

I wouldnt worry about the baby being sick from the snake as long as you use proper hygene and i recommend having alot of hand sanitizer. I know you said a secure enclosure but I cant stress enough to make sure it is SECURE. If your getting a hatchling i wouldnt worry as much about the strength of the cage but i have had a larger snake (around 100lbs) break through a plexiglass front on a cage in the middle of the night when it smelled a rabbit. It is rare but it is a possibility. So as long as your cage is 100% secure then id say go for it. Congrats on the future snake and also on the little girl, she will change your life for sure.

03/24/13  11:12pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Schuman   In reference to Message Id: 2294274

Should I be worried?

Even though Schuman gave a very nice response to the question , in favor of it . I would be in favor of it as well ...IF YOU HAD A SPARE ROOM. In short , why don’t you keep the snake in the living room and not in the bedroom??

I would want my baby to be sleeping in a germ free / odor free/ feces free environment. the larger the snake the larger the poop and the chances of them making a mess at odd hours or when you are at work are far greater than you being there to immediately catch it.

HA HA ...your wife is gonna kick yer a$$ when that bedroom stinks.......lol

03/30/13  11:58am

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area