Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Reticulated Forum

Venom6547   Cphill58   OwnerSince2010   Venom6547   Cphill58   Venom6547   Venom6547   OwnerSince2010   Venom6547  
 Member  Message

Venom6547
View Profile

Any advice on calming down baby male tiger?

Well, I was lied to when i bought this little guy that he had good temperament because the day after i got him he started striking at the glass when i misted him, i wasn’t even spraying him directly i sprayed above the cage, and i cant pick him up with a snake hook he strikes at that lol..
Is it something with male snakes being more aggressive? my granite burm was the same way but my dwarf retic is gentle and sweet and so are my boas one of which i had received when she was a month old
I don’t really know what to call him right now so i call him bud but I’m just wondering if there’s anything i can do that will let me get bit the least amount possible but at the same time get him calmer, I put his cage near my bed now so he always sees me I just thought maybe him seeing me more and seeing I’m not trying to hurt him he’ll learn but who knows any input would be great thanks

06/09/11  10:38pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2223871

Hey Venom,
Nice looking retic ...have I said that before ...they all look awesome.

I tend to think of food ...feed them and get them fat and happy.
My Dwarf was quite aggressive in the cage for a few days when I first got him....had to feed him and handle him continuously. He only strikes when he is hungry. At his size I don’t think he gets scared. Maybe I am just lucky.
When I went to pick up the 8’ snake it was advertised as "Puppy Dog Tame" HA HA ...he was very strikey for the first minute and a hook was used to get him out of the enclosure. I almost refused to take him home knowing that he was going to be on display in the living room where lots of friends and other reptile freaks hang out. After talking it over we decided to give it a go. Very mellow on the way home he crawled freely under the back seat of the truck. This worried me ...you can only imagine that trying to get a big snake out from a confined space will get you bit...So I opened the doors and let him come out on his own about 1/2 way and continued to stroke him and see the reaction.

Well I could go on & on , sorry to ramble ...but I washed him up, checked for mites, fed him 3 very large rats back to back and allowed him to chill ...the next day I opened the door and offered my hand wrapped in reptile carpet...he struck and held on for about 5 seconds. Then when he realized it wasn’t food he let go. In the next 36 hrs. he struck 1x as I walked by ...I think I fed him again ?? He has not struck ever again and I never use a snake hook...maybe you should ?

The only time he gets irritated is when I mist with water...he hates it ! Yes he has struck at the air 1x and I stopped misting him directly. These guys have a good memory and they know who treats them right. So I started using moist towels instead and misting the glass and walls only on the side away from the snake....time has passed and he is used to the misting now ...but I try to avoid spraying him directly...sometimes he flinches just from the over spray. I try to let him soak in the tub as much as possible before shedding , but he won’t sit still for long. Constantly wrestling him back in the water.

My advice for what it is worth ....feed it more. If that doesn’t work you may have to wait for it to mature a bit and get less defensive. Get a snake hook or use a golf putter if you have nothing else. Nothing wrong with wearing a pair of light gloves too. If you want the snake to come out ....let it do so on it’s own rather than reaching in and trying to grab on to him. Trust me, they smell fresh air and attempt to come out in about 5-10 minutes. Mine is so funny he acts as if he knows better and if I try to touch him too soon he will pull back inside...but turn my back for a minute and he is gone ...usually under the couch.

Best to ya ...

06/10/11  05:17am

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2223871

I could be completely wrong about this, but I’m guessing sense snakes don’t rely on vision as their primary sense, that putting him near your bed won’t do any good, and might actually make him more stressed since there’s going to be more activity... I read on a forum that the easiest way to get a snake used to you (along with regular handling, use hooks and welding gloves if you’re worried about the bite, just remember to make all movements slowly but confidently they can sense fear) is take a piece of your clothing (shirt works best, after a bike ride/jog and NOT straight out of the wash smelling of downy, it needs to be a bit... Ripe?) and put it in the enclosure with them. Since they rely mainly on smell, this gets them used to your smell and helps them accept you as part of their environment and not something to be feared.

And when you mist the cage, don’t mist directly on him. My (I think it’s dwarf... Super dwarf x mainland) tic does the exact same thing and will strike at the cage/top/glass if I spray him directly. He just kinda backs away and hides if I spray the sides down and don’t spray directly at him, tho.

06/10/11  05:37am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2223904

Cphill- Wouldn’t feeding him and no interaction other than that just make him further away from human interaction? I’ll try it though, I actually took him out today and I think he’s just cage aggressive or he just calmed down I kinda just woke him up with the hook and picked him up and laid in bed and let him explore he was still for about a minute then explored everything.

Owner- You’re right about the heat pits lol I realized it after I did it I thought " why does it matter I’m just a big heat blob" I also put my shirt in his tank that doesn’t stink hah but I wore it during a really hot day so it’ll have my scent in it so who knows maybe that’s why he wasn’t psycho when I took him out. I also never misted him directly always about a foot higher than the cage was so he was just mad about water touching him I guess. My dwarf female finally got over that so she doesn’t get all defensive when being misted.

Hopefully This little guy is just cage aggressive or already over the aggressiveness that’d be great ha. If he is cage aggressive though how do I get him out of that habit?

By the way thanks for the advice :)

06/12/11  08:31pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2224398

Venom,

I guess I should have included that after he is well fed you can interact with him and have less of an issue. I have a bull snake that did the same thing and he too just needed an extra meal to settle down.

I interact all the time with my retic and I can tell right away if I need to be wary...or if he is hungry.
The guy I got him from had 3 or 4 other youngsters that were all quite strikey....I wonder if they were hungry or just immature and defensive.

Sounds like the shirt idea is working ....keep up the good work

Cp

06/12/11  10:59pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2224434

Yeah he was doing alot better with the striking until i fed him last night now whenever i walk by he strikes again..lol. I’ll let him be for another day then I’ll start taking him out again hopefully he just grows out of this habit soon I’d like to be able to show people how nice nice he looks without him striking.

06/15/11  08:32pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2225004

so i dont know if it’s because he might be getting ready to shed but he is probably meaner than he was before he actually strikes when i take him out now.. lol I’m just glad he’s only a month and a half old

06/19/11  02:03pm

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2225718

Does it only happen when you’re taking him out, then once he’s out he’s fine? And do you feed in a separate cage?
Also, if he does bite you, don’t let that stop you from taking him out / don’t put him back right afterwords. Obviously it’s a defense mechanism so if he thinks it works it’ll only get worse. He should calm down with normal handling though, not surprising a baby is bitey :)
But yeah shed could have a lot to do with it, my super tiger turns into a buttmunch when it’s time for her to shed...

06/21/11  09:53am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2225974

Yeah it only happens taking him out but he seems a little better no more striking but im sure as soon as i feed him he’ll be back to striking, and yes he’s fine when i take him out today is the first time he wasn’t trying to get away crazy fast hes coiled up in my hand and he tucked his head under my finger he reminds me of a GTP. Also the last like 4 inches of his body right before the vent looks burned or something its sorta brown and looks like a burn i dont know how since the UTH isn’t hot...
He looks so tiny and is as round as a quarter but hes long as my bathtub which is almost 4 feet???
I’m glad he’s starting to chill out. I’ll get more pics up as soon as i can :)

07/04/11  06:31pm

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area