Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Reticulated Forum

Cphill58   OwnerSince2010   Cphill58   OwnerSince2010   Cphill58   OwnerSince2010   Cphill58   OwnerSince2010   Cphill58   Maemile   Cphill58   OwnerSince2010   Cphill58   OwnerSince2010  
 Member  Message

Cphill58
View Profile

Started Eating Again

Just wanted to let you all know that my 10 foot dwarf began feeding again as of 4/16/2011...that means he went 6 months (10/15/2010) without eating and shed 2 or 3x during that time also. He eagerly took 2 jumbo rats. My rabbits will be about 6-7 weeks old next time I feed ....just in time.

Talked with a few folks on F.B. , such as Jay Brewer and they all indicated it as normal /winter / breeding seasonal stuff... had me freaked out for sure as it was my first season with this 1.

Cp

04/17/11  05:22pm

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2214862

Started Eating Again

Grats :) My dwarf hasn’t went off feed... He’s suffering from an RI, I’m giving him shots, even had to give him a shot one time while he was eating and in shed... He does not turn down a meal lol

05/01/11  04:18am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2216716

Started Eating Again

tell me more about the Rl ... how did you finally discover it ? what led up to it ? why do you think it happened...
good luck

05/01/11  05:05am

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2216717

Started Eating Again

Honestly, I’m not sure it’s an RI or not, there isn’t any mucus bubbles or anything like that but the vet said his mucus glands are pretty active and gave me 10 shots of an anti-biotic... But I discovered it because he would start breathing heavily like him breathing was clearly audible and it sounded like he was gasping... Took him to the vet and he said it had an RI, why I honestly don’t know the only thing I can think of is maybe the coconut husk bedding had a dust that irritated him because his temps and humidity are pretty good (78 cool side 84 ambient 90 basking, spray him down daily and it normally dries a few hours before the next spray). But I’ve never heard of that or anything like that, and all the other snakes on the same bedding are doing fine, and he’s showing very little improvement when I switched him to a terrarium liner... So I’m honestly stumped lol but like I said he’s eating like I under feed him (4.5 feet and he takes down 2 rats a lil wider than he is weekly) so hopefully it’s not that serious :) His next vet checkup is in ~ 14 hours tho and his breathing is still audible, so kinda curious what’s up...

05/02/11  03:10am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2216873

Started Eating Again

My retic is 10 feet and he is very audible before and during his shed...so I just do whatever I can to help him through that time...extra baths / more misting...etc. It’s the skin in the nassle passage that he will actually try to sneeze / huff out to break it loose. Even before he starts to turn blue his breathing gets like this so I know he is starting the process again. Scared the crap out of me the first time too.

Cp

05/02/11  11:34pm

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2217071

Started Eating Again

I thought that at first too, but it has been going on consistently whenever he gets excited for ~ 2 months.. Granted he’s shedding every 3 weeks, but it happens every time I get him out regardless of where he is in the shedding process... He’s going to do a tracheal wash and culture to see what’s up, the antibiotics helped a little bit but aren’t fully fixing the problem.

05/06/11  12:11am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2217625

Started Eating Again

Sure hope it all goes well....keep me posted.

05/06/11  03:32am

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2217646

Started Eating Again

So 2 things happened that are making me think the vet is hustling me for money... First off, picked up a second retic at a show (keeping it at a different house from the "sick" ’tic) and on the way back it was showing the exact same "symptoms" that my dwarf shows (slightly audible breathing when stressed, which since I’ve had the day light on 24/7 to keep temps up in his cage + shots, I’m sure he’s stressed) and she’s (the new ’tic) been sold to me by a semi-reputable breeder saying it’s in good health... Second off, they are trying to say it has been a fungal infection this entire time when he made a point to say he was seeing "50% improvement" after a round of anti-biotic, which would have 0 impact on a fungal infection (His own words) and now I need to buy 3 months of a shot that I need to give daily for an unknown amount... And he’s had this "fungal infection" for the whole time I’ve had the snake, meaning it’s not lethal or even close after 3+ months... Like I said earlier, still feeding fine shedding fine just kinda makes noise from time to time. I’m going to ask for the culture results and go to a different vet, if they say the same thing then I guess I’ll try to save up enough for 3 months of the shots but if that’s the case I’m going to need to buy some for the new tic I picked up too so not sure =/

05/13/11  05:28am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2218764

Started Eating Again

I have always been under the impression that RI’s are bacterial or viral??? Yes I am leaning more towards bacterial due to the type of medication and treatment.

I would be very leary at this point and seek another opinion....I know I have recommended DR. Tom Greek in California to a few folks ...he answers question via e mail, when he can.He is in Yorba Linda, CA. Look him up and briefly share your concerns.

My snake still has audible breathing when I disturb him ...not for long just when he is feeling grumpy.

He pounded 2 small rabbits tonight....very happy about that ...poor little bunnies. What a dilemma...I raise em and get attached...oh well.

Wishing you the best as always , hope all goes well ...post pics of the newest addition..!!

Cp

05/16/11  03:24am

Maemile
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2219336

Started Eating Again

And try to find a real exotic vet if he is not one...taking a reptile to a vet that handles dogs and cats is just a waste of time and money in my experience...I have been treating my young beardie for yellow fungus for 5 mos. and definately better off with the exotic vet...but be prepared, not cheap!

05/19/11  05:23pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Maemile   In reference to Message Id: 2219999

Started Eating Again

Full on eating now ....

06/08/11  04:18am

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2223449

Started Eating Again

Very nice ^_^ Congrats.

My girlfriend tried to feed the super-tiger we picked up and it decided her leg looked tastier twice... Needless to say I just ran over there at 2:00 AM to help calm her down... Got my first snake bite too, bugger was fine til I put her in her feeding tub then she decided I wasn’t going to close the lid and latched onto my hand lol.

Oh, and the one with the "fungal infection" is doing fine - I still hear the breathing, but still no signs of mucas or discomfort, just upped him to medium rats and he’s taking those down no problem :)

06/10/11  05:28am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2223903

Started Eating Again

Glad to hear that Owner....that’s good news about the heavy breather I mean ...not the GF. I hope you all do well and she is not traumatized by it.

Damn I am one lucky SOB . It’s gonna be a bad day when I get bit ....LOL

06/10/11  05:49am

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2223905

Started Eating Again

I honestly thought it was going to be a lot worse than it was... Bled like she ripped my finger open when it happened, but bleeding stopped after about 5 minutes with some ice and now it just looks like I scraped my finger on a stick, she only got hold with half her mouth which turned out to be kinda good and bad... Less puncture wounds, but her whole weight was hanging from her teeth (I stopped her from wrapping that hand but she wouldn’t wrap the hand I grabbed her with... So her body was just kinda dangling and I didn’t want to squeeze too hard and hurt her) so left a little bruising... Girlfriends is a lil worse because she panicked and tried jerking her leg back and she said it took her a minute or two to remember where she put the alcohol so yeah..

Here’s my finger & the snake if you’re curious:

Temporary cage when we first got her, she’s in a 6x4x3 custom built now :)

And yeah my girlfriend is terrified now because our red tail (her favorite snake, it’s the only one we can have out and trust not to run away... mainly because he never unwraps himself fully from whoever’s handling him, but hey) decided she looked tasty too (Her fault there, she checked made sure the rats were thawed then without washing her hands or using a hook tried to pick him up, he’s just a baby tho maybe 2-3’ max) and this is her first experience being bit by any of our snakes (she’s been bit by a baby corn & baby milk before at a pet store, but neither of them broke skin) so I’m the new snake feeder.

Just really hoping the whole thing was because Banana (the snake) was hungry and not a new trend for her... My little cousin who’s about 8 and loves snakes is in town and is thrilled to meet her, but not going to let it happen if there’s a risk of her getting bit.

06/10/11  10:55am

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area