Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Reticulated Forum

Mollies keeper   Boc   Mollies keeper   JeffK  
 Member  Message

Mollies keeper
View Profile

Not eating as much....

I had a lil problem last week. As I said before, his main enclosure has aspen pulp bedding. Many people have suggested he eat in his main enclosure, so I tried it on his last feeding. Being much larget, it was impoosible to cover all the substarte and when I came in a few minutes later the snake appearred to have a large mouthfull of the pulp. I removed him and rinsed his mouth with water to get as much of the pulp out of his mouth. (he had 10-12 small bits of pulp in his mouth. It’s been ten days since he last ate. He does’nt seem to be real interested in the prey, almost scared of it. I dangled it above his head on one presentation, and he hit at it a couple of times, but more of as a defense than an attempt to secure and constrict. Should I be concerned? He could’nt have actually ingested more than 2-3 small pieces of the pulp, and surely when securing prey in the wild, a snake will ingest some substrate. He previously spent a lot of time soaking, but since the incident, he’s spent most of his time in the hot side of the enclosure. I noticed this morning he’s resumed soaking again for the first time in several days. What do you all think. I’ve introduced prey 2 times since the incident, yet he shows no real interest in secureing it. Is he tramatized by the incident? ill due to the small amunt of substarate he may have ingested? How worried should I be? I recently increased the size of his prey to small to medium rats, could the larger prey produce a longer period to desire eating?

04/11/11  11:34am

Boc
View Profile

Message To: Mollies keeper   In reference to Message Id: 2213878

Not eating as much....

Could be getting ready to shed and it just seems all coincidental my retic don’t eat when shedding.

04/11/11  09:14pm

Mollies keeper
View Profile

Message To: Boc   In reference to Message Id: 2213994

Not eating as much....

you might have been right, he shed and ate while shedding. It’s kinda strange, he’s shed a couple times but still ate. Might have been a combination of the larger prey, and shedding, but alls well with him.

04/20/11  07:41pm

JeffK
View Profile

Message To: Mollies keeper   In reference to Message Id: 2215277

Not eating as much....

If your husbandry is correct, swallowing a few pieces of aspen is not a problem. With the warmth of an undertank heater they will be fine. Glad to hear everything is good now.

Also, i would suggest using newpaper as a substrate. Apsen has never been my favorite. With newspaper, there is no risk of it been ingested, and clean up is ridiculously easy.

04/21/11  05:52pm

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area