Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Reticulated Forum

Mollies keeper   Damion930   Mollies keeper   Damion930   Joecoool2003   Mollies keeper   Boc   JeffK   Venom6547   Mollies keeper   Damion930   JeffK   Mollies keeper   Joecoool2003   JeffK   Joecoool2003  
 Member  Message

Mollies keeper
View Profile

Guidelines for moving to larger food

Got a young retic in mid november from LLL REPTILE. He was about 30" and 2" diameter. They advised to feed adult mice, which I hought was bit large, but followed thieir advice. When he ate he had quite bulge as he digested his food. He’s now about 38" and 4" dimeter. You can barely see that he is digesting the largest adult mice I can find. I buy his mice at a local pet shop with quite a few snakes, and asked if he was ready for small rats. They said he was’nt, that he should’nt eat anything larger than his body size. Is that good info? a small rat would be about what an adult mouse was in porportion to his body when i got him. He took about 5 or 10 mins to zero in on his food when we first got him, and a few minutes to eat it once it was killed. Now he hits the mouse as soon as it is put in his cage and is barely nticable once it’s down. Is he being under fed? should I feed him twice a week, if he’s not ready for a rat? Did I get uninformed advice? tried to post this before, but it did’nt seem to post, if there’s a lag and this is a duplicate, don’t bite my head off

03/21/11  08:28pm

Damion930
View Profile

Message To: Mollies keeper   In reference to Message Id: 2210859

If he has a 4" diameter he should be able to handle a small to medium rat no problem. Id switch him to rats ther is realy no reason for a retic to ever be on mice they should start on rats from the beginning. He should be eating a prey item 1-1.5 his girth that would mean it could handle a 6" diameter rat that’s a good sized rat an adult mouse probably isn’t even as long as the prey he needs is wide. It can be nerve racking moving up sizes but remember they can eat somthing a lot larger than what you think they can.

03/21/11  09:01pm

Mollies keeper
View Profile

Message To: Damion930   In reference to Message Id: 2210867

Thanks,
A young rat would be OK? The young rats they had were a little bigger than a pregnant mouse. Last few times he was fed the bulge was barely noticable when he ate with the largest adult mouse i could get.

03/22/11  02:02pm

Damion930
View Profile

Message To: Mollies keeper   In reference to Message Id: 2210965

Yeah a small rat should be no trouble he would have to take down somthing quite large to hurt him at all start with a small if ther isn’t a sizable bulge move up a size next feed best of luck and if you have any pix that would certainly help

03/22/11  11:36pm

Joecoool2003
View Profile

Message To: Damion930   In reference to Message Id: 2211066

i would say she would be ready for large rats honestly.. retics can take alot more then you think... lol....

03/23/11  03:55pm

Mollies keeper
View Profile

Message To: Joecoool2003   In reference to Message Id: 2211128

I’m gonna start with a small rat and post some pics of that once it’s eaten, and get your guy’s opinion on whether the size is adequate.

03/23/11  04:09pm

Boc
View Profile

Message To: Mollies keeper   In reference to Message Id: 2211131

I got a retic from lll reptile back in oct. about 28in long and now its about 6ft long and that retic u got there could def down a large rat u would be surprised. That retic should be bigger than that by now

03/23/11  06:56pm

JeffK
View Profile

Message To: Boc   In reference to Message Id: 2211147

As I told you in the other thread, she could take a small rat no problem. I would skip the small and go straight to a medium rat if i were you. And after a few weeks of mediums, move to a large. You need to feed larger meals, that retic should be larger than it is now. My female grew more than 7 feet within the first year, so your retic only growing 8 inches in four months shows that you are not feeding her enough. You should be offering food once every 5-7 days.

03/23/11  08:07pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: JeffK   In reference to Message Id: 2211175

when my dwarf retic was around 6ft she was on guinea pigs and i gave her much larger than the rest and was worried about how she’d do and she was perfectly fine i was amazed so yeah try something big have faith in your little guy... or girl? :)

03/23/11  08:42pm

Mollies keeper
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2211179

I fed it (as I have no idea of sex generally refer to as "he") a med rat about 5-6" long ....looked kinda large. He struck and rolled it up within 30 seconds of introducing it in. I watched him start to eat it after about 4 or 5 mins, for about 2 mins and he struggled a bit getting it in over it’s head, i left for about 10 mins and it was gone. There was’nt a huge bulge which what i would’ve expected, but a slightly noticable bulge approimately the size of the rat 5 or 6 inches down his body. Would it move down that fast? I’m not completely convinced he actually ate it and maybe the rat escaped? Tell me I’m stupid....pease...

03/23/11  08:54pm

Damion930
View Profile

Message To: Mollies keeper   In reference to Message Id: 2211182

Yeah I bet it ate it once its past the mouth it moves down very fast you would be amazed they use all ther muscles to push it down. If its not a sizable lump go up a notch.

03/24/11  01:26am

JeffK
View Profile

Message To: Mollies keeper   In reference to Message Id: 2211182

I’m sure the rat didn’t escape after already being half-swallowed. I wouldn’t move him to large rats just yet, i would stick to mediums for a couple more weeks, and then move him to large rats. I would also suggest feeding frozen or prekilled food if you aren’t already doing it. Retics have a crazy feeding response, and i’ve never heard of one having trouble switching to frozen. A year from now this snake will be (or should be) eating rabbits, and buying live rabbits every week or two is going to cost a fortune.

03/24/11  05:42pm

Mollies keeper
View Profile

Message To: JeffK   In reference to Message Id: 2211327

You’re right the rat did’nt escape, I saw a noticable bulge today, even posted a photo on Adam’s "he shed" thread which shows it did’nt get away lol. I’m going to look into the frozen, I think the mouse we tried may have not been completly thawed and that may have been the reason he was less than exicited about eating it. It’ll come down to a cost decision, as the difference on frozen mice was basically pennies. The rat he had yesterday was about triple what the mice were. I was planning on raising rabbits for feeders when he reached that statge, have some experience with that and figure 2 or 3 breeders should keep him well fed. For now the situation of being with Adam and his snake has changed, hopefully we can work it out to either get the snake to Adam or Adam to the snake. Either way the snake will get the best of what i can give him till that occours. Thanks for all your input, I’ve learned a lot.

03/24/11  07:02pm

Joecoool2003
View Profile

Message To: Mollies keeper   In reference to Message Id: 2211340

Lol my males grow about 11feet in the first year and my girls hit about 12ft... But at 5 foot they are on 3-5lb rabbits lol

03/26/11  12:12am

JeffK
View Profile

Message To: Joecoool2003   In reference to Message Id: 2211484

My female is about 9 feet, and is just now on rabbits, lol. How often do you feed your retics joe?

03/26/11  11:00am

Joecoool2003
View Profile

Message To: JeffK   In reference to Message Id: 2211518

kinda depeneds .... i usually wait 3 -5 days after they dump lol

04/03/11  12:18am

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area