Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Reticulated Forum

Designer Dragons   Serpentshideaway   Designer Dragons   Venom6547   Designer Dragons   JeffK   Bighog85   JeffK   Designer Dragons  
 Member  Message

Designer Dragons
View Profile

*Please Help*

Hello all.Let me introduce my self.My name is Devon.I am 16.I am new to the tic forum but not to the site.I breed beardies,boas and balls.Mostly focus on the first two of the first three.I have grown up with exotics from tigers,cougars,monkeys,and condas my whole life.My parents split a few years back and there was fighting over the animals and the court ordered to sell the animals and split the cash.I recentyl got back into ecotics two years ago.Now to cut to the chase.

I am trading one of my 2010 DH sunglow boas for a 5’ super tiger retic next week.I couldnt pass up the deal.The only draw back is........The guy said the retic was tame at one point.However,he was hospitalized due to personall matters for several months and he wasnt handled at all.He said now the tic was bitey.Would that short of a time result in the behavouir change?If so,would he be easy to tame back down?Ihave dealt with nippy baby boas before and the best way to calm those guys down is to handle them, but that wont be so easy with a five footer.Would it be hard to tame down?

I hope YOu can answer my questions before the trade.Any response besides flaming will help.

Thank you,Devon

02/16/11  11:54pm

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Message To: Designer Dragons   In reference to Message Id: 2205391

*Please Help*

I dont know the answer to that but i am sure someone will be able to help you out with your question try posting in the general snakes section seems to be frequented more often than the tic section

02/17/11  12:38am

Designer Dragons
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2205397

*Please Help*

Thanks for the advice.I will do that.I usually hook train my bigger snakes and have never dealt withg an "aggresive" snake.

02/17/11  03:16pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Designer Dragons   In reference to Message Id: 2205462

*Please Help*

at least its only 5 feet not 15ft.. lol, im 16 too and i got a ~7.5ft jampea dwarf retic and i handle her like once a week maybe depending on when she last ate and shes perfectly fine. im sure if you hold him/her enough itll get used to you.

02/17/11  05:07pm

Designer Dragons
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2205485

*Please Help*

Yeah.If he were 15 ft I wouldn’t pay a $ for him lol.I have been bit a 11 footer.Not fun lol.

02/17/11  09:58pm

JeffK
View Profile

Message To: Designer Dragons   In reference to Message Id: 2205544

*Please Help*

If i were you i wouldn’t do the trade.

In my experience most snakes will calm down with regular handling, but if this is going to be your first retic, one that may turn out to be aggressive probably wouldn’t be good idea for a beginner. If the snake doesn’t calm down, you will have to constantly be worrying about him striking and getting a hold of you.

I would sell the boa, and buy a nice super tiger that has no problems from a reputable breeder, that way you won’t be getting in over your head.

But if you do decide to go ahead and do the trade, if you have any questions or need some tips, you know where to ask. Myself along with many others are always willing to help.

02/18/11  11:17pm

Bighog85
View Profile

Message To: JeffK   In reference to Message Id: 2205707

*Please Help*

A five foot retic is not that big and a bite is not going to be much worse than a comparably sized boa. If you have dealt with snakes before and know how to handle a hook then you will be fine. A lot of retics are fairly nippy until they get a bit bigger so you are just as likely to get bit by a baby until it gets to the same size as the one you are looking at. Bites are a part of the hobby and you have to completely accept that and be ready for it if you are going to get into big snakes. I wouldn’t worry about it. Handle him carefully and have someone with you in case you need some help. I do think you are to young to be getting snakes like that, but I am not going to try and talk you out of it.

02/23/11  09:11pm

JeffK
View Profile

Message To: Bighog85   In reference to Message Id: 2206600

*Please Help*

Even if the bite is not that terrible, it is still not a good idea to get an aggressive retic if you have no prior experience dealing with them. Yes, bites are part of the hobby, but the goal is to get bit as little as possible. I see no reason to get an aggressive retic when the OP could just as easily get a calm one from a breeder.

I don’t think telling the owner to get ready to be bitten is good advice at all. I have never been bitten by any of the pythons i have owned, included my retic. And yes, getting bitten by a retic is something to worry about. The last thing this person wants is an aggressive adult retic.

bighog85- While everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, i completely disagree with you above post, and i’m sticking to what i said before; get a baby retic from a reputable breeder, and caring for it will be much more enjoyable.

Please let us know what you decide to do

02/24/11  08:51pm

Designer Dragons
View Profile

Message To: JeffK   In reference to Message Id: 2206793

*Please Help*

I have went through with the deal.He isn’t as bad as the previous owner said he was.I have been bit once.Not that bad.I took both of your considerations into account and see both of your points but what makes you think I am to young to work with big snakes when I have been working boas and snakes since I was a baby.I am not just jumping from a colubrid or bp to a retic or burm.

02/25/11  07:33pm

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area