Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Reticulated Forum

Daveukleeds   Venom6547   Reticlord   Daveukleeds   Venom6547   Daveukleeds   Reticlord   Daveukleeds  
 Member  Message

Daveukleeds
View Profile

Philipphine retics

from bicol

12/27/10  01:08pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Daveukleeds   In reference to Message Id: 2194630

Philipphine retics

love how the 2nd to last pic shows the squiggly line connects alot down the spine, mines almost like that

01/02/11  12:18am

Reticlord
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2195698

Philipphine retics

Awesome bicol retic you got there mate. ;)

Slightly OT:

I’m a Filipino retic enthusiast and from what I’ve seen so far, the variance (in terms of pattern, color, temperament, size, etc.) is just HUGE.

The retics that I own are both dwarves; I have a 4 year old female that regularly feeds and is roughly 7 feet long and is roughly as large as a Nokia E65 and has a WEAKER feeding response (she’ll still feed; but don’t expect explosive lunges) than my ball python. I have a 3 year old female that is half her size (in girth), roughly 4 - 5 feet long, also a regular feeder but has the classic retic feeding response. And yes; I feed them regularly with rats and multiple chicks (in case rats are not available).

In contrast, google up "Prony" (a retic kept in Bohol) and you’ll see a retic that can easily rival Fluffy in terms of size and Lassie in terms of docility.

I don’t have scientific backing, but from what I’ve observed/researched so far is that the farther north you go, retics tend to be smaller, (USUALLY) more docile but darker in coloration. As you go south, they tend to be much bigger than their norther cousins, more prone to display the "stereotyped retic temperament" but are lighter/more attractive in coloration. Note that this is just my observation/personal research; there will always be exceptions to the rule and I *may* be proven wrong.

However, I guess everybody in this forum will agree with me that a retic with the size of a SD retic commercially sold by overseas breeders sold MUCH cheaper than a normal burm is quite a steal; not so sure about the exchange rate but I got my retic back in 2006 for roughly US$10 - US$20. I guess it helps that we are part of S.E. Asia and we don’t have much demand for retics as pets. ;)

03/31/11  10:25pm

Daveukleeds
View Profile

Message To: Reticlord   In reference to Message Id: 2212433

Philipphine retics

hi mate mine were pricey lol have you got any pics of urs to share
heres my 10 foot female after shedding:

04/05/11  06:05am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Daveukleeds   In reference to Message Id: 2212987

Philipphine retics

Ive got a 9 foot jampea dwarf retic so im told, looks like your snakes!
How big do those retics get as adults?

old old picture

I sure wish it was nice outside so i could take my baby out

04/05/11  09:32pm

Daveukleeds
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2213149

Philipphine retics

dont really have an average adult size for the bicols because not many people keep them mine are 10 foot for the female and 8 foot for the male at one year of age but they are still growing! so expecting 14 to 16 foot from them if not more,
ur jamp has lovely markings and is a good size, my jamp is a simular lengh but not as heavey bodied, will be posting pics of him soon
cheers Dave

(retic lord do you have those pics?)

04/09/11  05:39am

Reticlord
View Profile

Message To: Daveukleeds   In reference to Message Id: 2213598

Philipphine retics

hi dave:

sorry for the late reply. i dont have updated pix yet, so here are the most recent pix that I posted in the bp-net forums.

(http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?115378-It-s-official-my-favorite-retic-CANNOT-survive-in-the-wild...&p=1291019#post1291019)

CIrca December, 2006

As of March, 2010

04/12/11  06:47am

Daveukleeds
View Profile

Message To: Reticlord   In reference to Message Id: 2214028

Philipphine retics

im sure the camera is not doing her justice lol do you have the specific locality or was she bought as phillipphine? she does look awsome! :)

04/15/11  05:54am

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area