Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Reticulated Forum

Guitar Boy 3   Joecoool2003   Joecoool2003   Tiger-Retic   Sonorone   Guitar Boy 3  
 Member  Message

Guitar Boy 3
View Profile

What Size Food Would A 16ft Selayer Retic Eat?

Iím just curious since they are the dwarfs and a 5 footer only eats a small rat a month

thanx

08/08/07  11:54pm

Joecoool2003
View Profile

Message To: Guitar Boy 3   In reference to Message Id: 1395228

what are you serious 1 small rat a month... more like 3-5 ... but anyways a 16 ftr will take 10+lb pigs every 10-14 days

08/09/07  01:16am

Joecoool2003
View Profile

Message To: Joecoool2003   In reference to Message Id: 1395275

also just to let you know my 3-4 ft sunfire takes 5-7 large rats a month and he is still real real small

08/09/07  04:02am

Tiger-Retic
View Profile

Message To: Joecoool2003   In reference to Message Id: 1395327

you donít have to feed pigs

you can do rabbits, rats (lots of them for a big one)

but I do agree with Joe on the fact that 1 rat 1x a month isnít enough, atleast every 14 days apporpriate sized meal, depending on age, and how the retics growing, every 7 days for a younger one is good, anything else your power feeding IMO. Some people just like to "pump up" their tics and burms by stuffing them every 3 days, thats a bit much!

08/09/07  09:20am

Sonorone
View Profile

Message To: Tiger-Retic   In reference to Message Id: 1395496

Ok I donít mean to sound like I am starting trouble Guitar Boy 3. but how old is your 5 foot retic. feeding like that yes is a problem and could be undersized and cause health problems. however at the same time you would want to gradually correct the issue as well and not just start chucking large rats ever week immediately as well. maybe size up each feeding and go 14 days until you get to large then maybe start raising the frequency. maybe someone else could give you a better schedule to go by as well but when my male went off feed from illness thatís what was recommended to do slight step ups in feedings.

Also again guitar boy not trying to flame but help on a possible issue. but just about any snake when young needs to eat weekly (except some aboreals as I have been told) but certainly more than once a month. how much actual experience have you had? if not alot then you would really want to look up on how to properly feed for a lifecycle of a retic and research other issues you might be over looking as well. if you have questions feel free to ask. most the regulars are happy to help. either way I do wish you luck on your retic and getting the feedings corrected.

08/09/07  10:06am

Guitar Boy 3
View Profile

Message To: Sonorone   In reference to Message Id: 1395572

No I donít have one but somone on her said they give there 5 foot 2 inch one small rat a month I just wonderin cause I thought theyíd eat a lot more than that. I donít and wonít have one for a long time.

Thanx for your responses

08/09/07  06:47pm

Back to Pythons-Reticulated Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area