Pythons-Burmese Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Angel1982   Chameleon_man   Angel1982   Chameleon_man   SilverRaiyne  

Member  Message

Angel1982
View Profile

Burmese python

My wonderful brother has a 6ft or larger Burmese python. It was given to him by a friend. He has not been handled, but has never attacked anyone. He’s wanting to know the best way to get it used to being handled and how much he should be feeding it. The pet store told him 2 jumbo rats once a month. I don’t know about snakes, but I think he would be better off with a large rat every two weeks? Any help or advice is appreciated! Also he gives him water twice a day and I don’t believe that is enough. How much water should be given? Oh, should he let it swim in a bathtub?

01/24/13  03:10pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Angel1982   In reference to Message Id: 2290395

Burmese python

a 6 foot burm could eat rabbits easily :-) I would feed 1 large rabbit once a month. larger snakes only need to be feed 1 time a month just feed him a good sized meal. BUT it also depends on how round the snake is. can you put up a pic?

01/25/13  11:33am

Angel1982
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2290449

Burmese python

Not a good one. I will see if I can get my bro to post a pic. He’s pretty round, not wrinkles or anything. He looks healthy. He just creeps me out a bit, he follows me constantly when I go over to my brothers. He waits until no one pays attention and turns his head to look. Any idea on how much water he should be getting? Does he need to swim in a tub? How the heck is the best way to handle him???

01/25/13  03:46pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Angel1982   In reference to Message Id: 2290461

Burmese python

He needs a good size water dish. right now since you dont know the snake that well DO NOT HANDLE ALONE! Just because of its size and you are unsure of temperament NEVER handle alone for a few months! but if you get to many people it could freak him out. so i would say you and your brother are good to hold it together (unless your midgets)LOL. he may just be hungry and that is why he is following you around the room. or that he is in a new environment and just feeling it out.

01/25/13  05:13pm

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2290474

Burmese python

Hi, I definitely agree with pretty much everything Chameleon-Man has told you, but I differ a little on the feeding, I’d go with the two jumbo rats (if not even three or four) once a month. But I only say this due to the fact that you don’t know if the snake has previously eaten rabbits and you don’t want to stress him by feeding food that’s really big, not to mention rabbits aren’t cheap if you can’t easily find a feeder-breeder and most pet shops aren’t willing to drop the price that dramatically unless it’s an old cranky rabbit, in which case it’ll generally pretty big and apt to bite your snake. Also, you don’t want to feed too often, yes it’ll grow your snake really big really quick, but power feeding has been known to shorten their life span. As far as the bath tub...go for it! My snakes love to take baths, I normally put them in the tub at least once a month while I’m cleaning their enclosures.
As for handling...definitely don’t handle him alone until you know his temperament, but once you are comfortable with the snake, just reach in and grab him, and if he bites, reach in and grab him again, ya gotta let him know that biting isn’t an acceptable defense mechanism, after awhile he’ll quit. But in all honesty most snakes that haven’t been handled in quite awhile are just scared and may make a lot of noise of jerky reactions, but will rarely bite, as a rule if snakes can’t eat you they don’t really wanna bite you. Just give it time and let it know that you won’t hurt it.

01/28/13  08:03pm

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area