Pythons-Burmese Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SilverRaiyne   TheSurfer   SilverRaiyne   SilverRaiyne   TheSurfer  

Member  Message

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Hi =) I’m new here

Hi, I’m just now wandering onto this forum =) I have a 9ft Burmese Python named Striker. I’m not sure of her age because she was a rescue I got about 2yrs ago. Someone had heard thru the grapevine that I had experience with large snakes and they brought her to my house and asked me to please take her. They said she was very aggressive and they were scared of her. Well they were fools! She is one of the sweetest snakes I’ve ever had. I found out the reason she struck so much (everytime i passed by, thereby getting her name) was because she had been kept in a wooden box, secluded from everyone, and the only interaction she had was when they’d feed her. She’s also very vocal, she hisses a lot and very LOUD but I can honestly say that in the last two years she has never struck at me in a truly aggressive way and she has never bit me. I am very glad I took her in, she is an awesome snake.
So, thanks for sticking with me thru my introduction =) On to why I searched this site out...I keep a large rubbermaid type bin in the bottom level of her cage (it’s 3 stories) always 1/2 full of water. But she rarely ever drinks from it and she never sumerges herself in it. I keep her misted down pretty good, especially if she’s going into shed, and she will drink by sucking the water off her skin. Also, because she doesn’t submerge herself, i will occasionally (at least once a month) run a warm bath for her and i know she enjoys it because she will stay in it and not want to get out when i try to remove her. I’m not sure why she won’t drink from her water dish but i’m thinking she won’t submerge in it because it’s not warm like the bath water. So do any of you have any ideas of what I can do? Like maybe ways i can warm the water in her cage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks & hello to all =)

http://www.repticzone.net/images/95019/.facebook_58407.jpg

10/11/11  04:45pm

TheSurfer
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2240053

Hi =) I’m new here

Well hello and Welcome! Sweet Burm. I love the albinos. I just picked up a nasty male granite the other day. He is still a baby though, but tries to get me every chance he can. He hisses and strikes all the time. lol. I saw the wood chips in the cage...looks like cedar. If it is, cedar produces a chemical that is harmful to snakes, but you can use aspen. If it’s not and I’m seeing something else, then no worries.

Back to your question. Burms are known to be most active during the night time, as I’m sure you know this from having yours. I’m willing to be she does drink from her water, but probably while everyone else is asleep.

As far as warming the water that’s in her cage, my advice is to not do it. The reason is warm water will harbor bacteria much faster. It will also evaporate more quickly causing the humidity to increase. Burms do love water, and your monthly baths are a great treat for her, but they don’t need to be soaking all the time. It’s been known, mostly on anacondas, that snakes who stay in there water tub/bowl can develop water blisters. I also have a yellow anaconda, and I only have a water bowl large enough for him to drink out of, and he is totally healthy.

Can’t wait to see more pics of her!!

Will

10/28/11  02:16am

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Message To: TheSurfer   In reference to Message Id: 2242170

Hi =) I’m new here

Hi Will =) thanks so much for responding to me. Yes, those were cedar woods chips, that picture was taken the day i got her. She’s no longer in that setup. I’m not entirely certain how to post pics in here, but the link to a pic of her current set up is: it’s 6ft tall, 5ft wide, and 3ft deep

And, Yes, she is most definitely active at night, I often wake up in the middle of the night because she makes a lot of noise dropping from one level of her cage to the next. One night i was woken up in the middle of the night by sounds of glass breaking in my kitchen, my husband & I instantly jumped out of bed thinking someone had broken the kitchen window & was breaking into our house. I don’t know if i was more relieved of scared to find that Striker had broken out of her enclosure and was on my kitchen counter knocking dishes to the floor. It’s scary to think she had to pass right by our bedroom to get there, who knows how much damage she could have done to us while we were sound asleep 8( since then i have put about 5 locks on her enclosure doors, there’s NO WAY she can get out, unless of course i forget to latch them, and then i only have myself to blame.
I had mainly been asking about her soaking in water because when she goes into shed she has such a hard time of it, the front of her cage is all screen so it’s hard to keep the humidity up in there, I’ve put a fogger in there a few times but she doesn’t like it at all, she gets really stressed out about it. i make sure to mist her down as much as i can but i have to be careful about that because the cage is made out of untreated wood and if it soaks up too much moisture it will warp and/or mold.
I hope you’re right that she’s drinking at night, the only time i ever see her drink is when i mist her, she will suck the water off her skin. She’s just so different from my boas that i worried, they will drink water all the time, especially when i change it out, they both come over and drink right away. and they spend a lot of time soaking in it, but i have never seen any water blisters on them, and i check them out quite regularly, especially if they’re soaking more than usual because then i usually have to treat them for mites =(
Anyways, Thanks for your input, and good luck with your granite. i was gonna buy an amazon tree python not too long ago that was like that, but i soon realized i’d be spending just as much money on iodine to treats my bite wounds =)

10/30/11  12:46pm

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2242455

Hi =) I’m new here

sweet, finally figured out how to post pics =) here she is, my baby girl Striker

11/04/11  02:21pm

TheSurfer
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2243008

Hi =) I’m new here

Striker is Awesome! And that cage is pretty sweet too! I can definitely see your issue with humidity having screen covering one side of the cage. If it’s wouldn’t be too expensive to cover that large of area, you could put plexi-glass in the screens place, and then drill a few 1/4 inch holes on the sides. Or put those 3" round vents on the sides(looks better to me). Look like this, but you either have to put it in from the inside or tac it in with a screw or something. They have been known to be pushed out before. haha, then you would have more glasses break in your kitchen! haha.

That would definitely keep the heat and humidity in there. I use to have a breeder cage with the screen top, and that’s what I had to do. Helps a lot. Now I have Boaphiles so I don’t have to worry any more. As far as treating the wood, that would be one of the most important things to do for a cage as nice as that one. It’s super easy to do and you can get the sealant at any lowes or home depot. And Striker would be just fine staying in a tub large enough for a few days until it dries and airs out.

Keep those photos coming!! This forum is almost dead, but it only takes a few of us to keep it alive!!

Will

11/15/11  11:17am

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area