Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Burmese Forum

OwnerSince2010   Aussie Animals   OwnerSince2010   Aussie Animals   OwnerSince2010   Aussie Animals   Boomalang   Aussie Animals  
 Member  Message

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Burm v.s. Retic (husbandry)

I own 2 retics, and prefer them to burms aesthetically. My girlfriend on the other hand is absolutely mesmerized by albino burms. I’m thinking about surprising her and picking up one at the next show... Anything I should know specific to these animals versus a ’tic? I was planning on using some of my old cages since they’ll get around the same size, anything I should change in them before? (All are pretty basic; A branch, newspaper/outdoor carpeting, a hide, a waterbowl) Thanks in advanced :)

07/15/11  12:27am

Aussie Animals
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2229085

Well first off I do agree with you about the beauty of the retic. But I believe that burms get thicker around the girth than a retic. other than that they are pretty much the same. They both like to live near water. They both have the size too them. And I have heard that burms can be nicer than most retics. I do not own a burm but know about them.

07/15/11  10:39am

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: Aussie Animals   In reference to Message Id: 2229132

Cool, so just feeding them a lil differently than tics (for the width difference) and they’re basically the same husbandry wise?

Idk about that. Only time my tics get "mean" is when there’s a rat in the room... Well and my dwarf gets freaked out when there are new people and poops everywhere, but hey :P

07/15/11  04:14pm

Aussie Animals
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2229176

No same foods. maybe just advance quicker i do not know. but at adult they will both be eating rabbits.

07/15/11  07:20pm

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: Aussie Animals   In reference to Message Id: 2229194

Yeah I meant ’cause they get thicker they get a lil bigger food items tho (relative to length), correct?

07/16/11  01:55am

Aussie Animals
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2229253

You pretty much just feed the same thing. If you can care for a ’tic a burm is just one step down. So no, just the same size foods but you could feed a little bit bigger ones. Sorry if this is confusing.

07/16/11  10:55am

Boomalang
View Profile

Message To: Aussie Animals   In reference to Message Id: 2229278

I think what Aussie is trying to say is that the food (rabbit) doesn’t have to be any wider for a Burm or skinnier for a Retic. I own one Retic and seven Burms. My Retic is 8 ft, and very slender, as she won’t eat rabbits yet. And she’s a little skinnier than she should because she’s gone a couple months at a time twice last year when I was trying to switch her to rabbits. One of my Burms had a similar issue before but started eating rabbits around the 8ft mark. The others gladly switched to rabbits. But I’m sure it doesn’t have much to do with the fact that it’s a Retic, it’s just a pickier snake than the others. As far as temperament goes I see no difference at all, and that applies to Retics and Burms that I’ve handled before that weren’t mine as well.

07/16/11  01:02pm

Aussie Animals
View Profile

Message To: Boomalang   In reference to Message Id: 2229290

Thank you.

07/16/11  06:12pm

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area