Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Burmese Forum

Cots   Qqqqz   Cots   Phoenix23   Qqqqz  
 Member  Message

Cots
View Profile

Getting my new Albino Granite Burm to eat frozen

I got a new albino granite a few weeks ago. They told me he was not feeding fully on frozen when I bought him but was told shouldn’t be difficult to convert and was hoping to make the switch permanently. The first week/feed he took down a live mouse and then followed it up with a f/t. He ate both. The second feed he took down two mice again this time both frozen. Went to feed him this week Friday and then Sunday night f/t and he wanted nothing to do with them. He was a heck of a lot more interested in coming out of his tank and being handled.

Good news was for the last three weeks he hissed at me and nipped once whenever i went to handle him. Now as i said each time I go into the cage he is very interested and immediately climbs to the top and onto my hand. I won’t complain about that at all as a very well tempered snake is always good.

However any thoughts/tips/ideas on how to permanently convert the little guy to eating frozen thawed would be greatly appreciated. My current ball and redtail are pretty picky and the ball won’t eat f/t at all and the redtail will only eat f/t if he has a live teaser snack first. I would love to be able to get the burm on f/t as the availability of large live feed items is slim and the price is always more.

Thanks all.

04/25/11  06:28pm

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Cots   In reference to Message Id: 2215935

My burm won’t touch anything that’s already dead. Doesn’t matter if it was frozen or a fresh kill. He just doesn’t want it.

04/25/11  08:29pm

Cots
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2215957

Interesting. My redtail and my ball will eat both freshly killed and live but more prefer if they are freshly killed which is why I am kicking myself that they won’t eat frozen/thawed. In fact they both won’t eat if I drop the prey into their tank either. I have to hold it with tongs dangling above their heads in order to get them to strike.

Guess its just wishful thinking and hoping that I can get the burm to eat frozen. How big is yours now? Do you raise your own food?

04/25/11  10:27pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Cots   In reference to Message Id: 2215969

I also have a burm that wont touch anything prekilled... its so annoying...... no i just give him a large live rat and then as he is taking his last gulp i slide in a rabbit and he just continues eating.... its a trick someone showed me and it works awesome..... but i dont think he`ll ever just eat a dead rat firs... i`ve starved him for 3 months and still he wouldnt eat it....

04/26/11  11:08am

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Cots   In reference to Message Id: 2215969

My burm isn’t very big at all. I only got him in October and I was told he hatched at the end of August.

I don’t raise any food. I have a freezer full of frozen rats that I buy in large quantities from the nearest expo twice a year.

Every week or every other week I go out and buy two live rats for the two snakes that won’t eat anything pre-killed. My newest boa has the same problem.

04/26/11  08:22pm

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area