Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Burmese Forum

Phoenix23   BigBoyzBoids   Phoenix23   BigBoyzBoids   Phoenix23   BigBoyzBoids   Phoenix23   Boc   BigBoyzBoids   Cphill58  
 Member  Message

Phoenix23
View Profile

So you all might have seen my post about the mites... So far I havent seen them back but we’ll see how that goes.....
Now another question..... Is it common for burms to go off feed during the winter season???.... Last year they didn’t but they were not even a year old yet but this year the 2 burms that are now over a year have only had 1 meal over the entire winter.
Now my albino who is just under a year is still pounding back food and is actually catching up in size cause she eats everything and anything i give her...

So again my main question is Do burms go off feed during winter???

Thanks Guys/Ladies

03/25/11  02:02pm

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2211426

its normal for alot of snakes to go off feed around now because of breeding so dont worry about it. you probably have your males and females in the same are like most of us and they know its breeding time so give it some time and they will eat again no worries unless you see them getting real thin my buddy has a retic that only eats in the summer months ever year weird i know.

03/27/11  12:36am

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2211604

ok thanks.... i have had many snakes but only ever had my ball pythons not eat in the winter.... this is the only other species that hasnt eatin for me..... but i’ll continue to be patient.... thanks again

03/27/11  08:37pm

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2211712

no problem i was wondering the same thing when my retic went off feeding but my buddy where i got him and breeds says alot of times they will go off feed for breeding season and just on odd occasions and not to worry about it unless they start loosing body mass. right now i have 2 bloods and 2 burms and a retic that wont eat

03/28/11  12:28am

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2211744

With all this being said i was watching tv and noticed my male burm wondering around a lot.. thought he might be hungry so i threw in a rat and he smashed it right away.... then when he was done figured id try another one and aain right away........ I guess i spoke too soon....lol

Oh and when i say i threw in a rat yes it was live.... All my other snakes take f/t but for some reason my male wont even touch it..... no matter how long i starve him... believe me i’ve tried

03/28/11  02:22am

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2211751

my female is like that weve starved her but she wont touch a frozen thawed for the life of her. my other 2 will eat prekilled and the male eats anything literally. im in the process of starting to breed rabbits for feeders for them they eat to many rats lol

03/28/11  12:47pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2211795

ya i used to breed rats...still do kinda but not much.... they are smelly.... Dont think i’ll ever do rabbits...i just buy them now...kinda sucks cause they cost $12 each... if i’m lucky i can get them for $9....

03/29/11  02:14am

Boc
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2211936

Bite the bullet and go to rodentpro if u order enough it makes it worth the order cause of the shipping but I spent time doing the math of all the ways to get food and that’s ur best bet

03/29/11  10:11am

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Boc   In reference to Message Id: 2211958

its kinda hard to do rodentpro when you have a finicky eater that only eats live or fresh killed i have 3 snakes that way. i have tried frozen feeders from four different sources have let them go and not be feed for a little and offer feed and everything but nothing works. thats why i breed them

03/29/11  02:50pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2211990

Man am I glad I cruised over here...my 10 foot dwarf Retic hasn’t eaten since 10/15/10....am I relieved to here what you all talked about. Was really beggining to worry. Although he ate like a champ from June to Oct he stopped cold and the trabbits I started breeding out grew him ....LOL. Sold them and started fresh with some in the oven for mid April.

He used to eat 3 ex ex large rats per sitting ...raise those too out back of the house. W@hat really blows my mind is that he shed 3 more times during the fast...
waiting anxiously

thx for sharing

Cp

04/03/11  04:54am

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area