Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Burmese Forum

Bone Java   BoaDude   KimboSliceEatsCats   Qqqqz   Bone Java   Qqqqz   BoaDude   Qqqqz   BoaDude   Qqqqz   Bone Java   BoaDude  
 Member  Message

Bone Java
View Profile

Baby Burm

I purchased Penny at a specialty pet store and she is growing like crazy...I was too afraid to feed her small rats because she seemed too skinny but she takes them like a champ! here’s some pics of her

03/06/11  08:27pm

BoaDude
View Profile

Message To: Bone Java   In reference to Message Id: 2208406

Baby Burm

Love her color :) She will grow fast and BIG lol. Great pics of her, keep taking them so you can see how fast shes growing and show others.

03/14/11  07:47am

KimboSliceEatsCats
View Profile

Message To: BoaDude   In reference to Message Id: 2209470

Baby Burm

Yea take pictures and write down dates every time you check her size, many people would benefit from as many records as they can find from knowing how fast they grow and much they begin to eat in a certain amount of time.
May help people make or not make the wrong decision.

03/15/11  11:49pm

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Bone Java   In reference to Message Id: 2208406

Baby Burm

Baby? That thing looks big in that first picture. I have a male that supposedly hatched at the end of August and he’s not that size. Or at least I don’t think he is.

03/16/11  01:40am

Bone Java
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2209825

Baby Burm

I purchased Penny in July of 2010 when she was 6 weeks old. She is nearly 8 months old now and is eating small rats. I don’t super feed her or anything but she has vary strechy skin and she can take quite a large amount of food fairly comfortably. Penny is nearly 5 feet long now and still growing fast. I am extremely excited about her progress. I will post pics soon.

03/16/11  01:22pm

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Bone Java   In reference to Message Id: 2209867

Baby Burm

That makes more sense since it’s a female. I’ve noticed female snakes seem to grow a lot faster than the males. I’ve always seen that with my boas anyway.

My burm is a male and only about a month younger than yours. He’s only like 3ft.

I grow them slowly too, especially this one because he only eats live rats and refuses anything that’s already dead. He won’t touch something that was once frozen or even if it was pre-killed a minute before feeding. I try to feed him once a week but there are a lot of weeks where I had to skip a feeding because of my work schedule.

03/16/11  09:22pm

BoaDude
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2209955

Baby Burm

Not sure how old our girl is but at 8feet and 35 ish lbs shes a good size. They will grow fast if fed on a normal time frame. Burmese pythons start off all cute and tiny {well tiny for them that is} and grow at a rapid pace. people dont seem to understand that cute and tiny gets large and some times grumpy.

03/17/11  02:28am

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: BoaDude   In reference to Message Id: 2210009

Baby Burm

I know about that. I try to take my burm out a lot more than my boas because I don’t trust them as much as the boas. Very defensive and nasty inside the tank, but very calm once I get him out. I don’t get it. He’s getting better though. Went from biting inside the tank to just hissing. But at least he’s fine when he’s out. That’s what matters.

03/17/11  02:54pm

BoaDude
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2210059

Baby Burm

LOL if its a baby they all have attitude. Honeybear will hiss at us but has never struck. One idea a vet gave us to curb the striking was take a small cloth and cover the head. Them remove snake. After a while they get used to the cloth = out time. We do take in allot of rescues with strike issues and this helps us so much.

03/17/11  03:05pm

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: BoaDude   In reference to Message Id: 2210062

Baby Burm

I just use a hook to get him out. It was suggested my someone on this forum and has worked great so far.

Another method I use is just take the top off the tank. If he starts to come up the side and try to get out, I just put my hand there and he goes onto it.

03/17/11  04:27pm

Bone Java
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2210077

Baby Burm

The reason I purchased Penny at a "cute and tiny" age is because I know she will grow based on how I feed and care for her. I wouldnt dare purchase a giant snake that I did not raise myself. To me, that is the correct way to get a big snake. As for taking out Penny, I take my hand and place it completely over her coiled body. She knows its not feeding time and does not attempt to strike at me.

03/18/11  12:59am

BoaDude
View Profile

Message To: Bone Java   In reference to Message Id: 2210188

Baby Burm

Getting Penny as a small baby was a good idea. Our girl was around 4 feet when she was rescued. had she shown any agression when handled we would have found a more suited home that deals with that sort of snake. My family and I take in and re home snakes and some times we cant help but to get a larger one. Like I said people not as smart as you buy these guys and dont think they will grow that fast. I am glad you did your homework and can take care of her for her life time. So many of these berms end up in sad shape due to lack of research, thanks for keeping cute miss penny a happy girl :)

03/18/11  05:30am

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area