Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Burmese Forum

Phoenix23   Vb9sk8er   KimboSliceEatsCats   DRAGONDAN   Qqqqz   BigBoyzBoids   Jm4372   Phoenix23   Jm4372   Henry & kathy   Phoenix23   Henry & kathy   Princess annibella  
 Member  Message

Phoenix23
View Profile

Burm With Mites

Ok so i bought this girl a little over a year ago or something like that and i got her with mites.... She was only about a foot and a half so it was easy to get rid of them(so i thought)..... I did the NIX spray cleaned out her enclosure, put down paper towel and watched her for 2 weeks....
They seemed to be ALL gone and i saw no signs of them... But ever since then they keep coming back... About every 6 months they come back and i always do the same thing to get rid of them.....

Now here’s the thing...They are back...

I wanna know what the best way to get rid of mites on a large burm is.... Now that she is 10 feet long its not like i have space to quarintine her.... Please any advice is welcome.....

03/02/11  03:34pm

Vb9sk8er
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2207778

Burm With Mites

I have used natural chemistry’s reptile spray for mites. It worked really good and you can use it on their eyes with a qtip. When I got my male a couple years ago he was horribly infested, and this stuff killed them all. I just sprayed him down and stuck him in a rubber maid bin and cleaned out the tank with the stuff. They never came back. The only thing that would keep them coming back is if they are hiding somewhere. I would suggest getting something like natures defense (an all natural flea product) and treating the room with it. It kills all kinds of bugs and is fairly harmless to animals and people. I have used it to get rid of fleas and it worked. Hope this helped.

03/02/11  06:18pm

KimboSliceEatsCats
View Profile

Message To: Vb9sk8er   In reference to Message Id: 2207797

Burm With Mites

Prevent-a-mite

^^Get it.

All of that other stuff is garbage.
Order some online or get some at a show.

03/02/11  07:12pm

DRAGONDAN
View Profile

Message To: KimboSliceEatsCats   In reference to Message Id: 2207807

Burm With Mites

Prevent-a-mite

^^Get it.

All of that other stuff is garbage.
thats all i ever us it works awesome

03/02/11  09:46pm

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: DRAGONDAN   In reference to Message Id: 2207841

Burm With Mites

These guys are saying it wrong. It’s called PROVENT-A-MITE. The stuff is great and pretty much the only thing that works.

Link

03/03/11  12:55pm

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2207913

Burm With Mites

correct the best product is provent a mite from pro products

03/05/11  10:58pm

Jm4372
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2208233

Burm With Mites

I have had a few battles with mites over the years on different occasions. I experimented with different things but have never tried the prevent a mite so you’ll have to take others advice on that product. My vet told me something that worked great for me. Get frontline spray. Spray it on a cloth and wipe your snake down with it, keeping it away from head and eyes. And spray down enclosure and let it dry before putting snake back in. Remove water bowl so he cant crawl through it and then drink it. Repeat this in another 2 weeks, and you should be good to go. it works really well and stops the egg cycle also. I was amazed, and I would only recommend this for larger snakes though.

03/07/11  09:36am

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Jm4372   In reference to Message Id: 2208458

Burm With Mites

Well that sounds like the route for me... I’ll give that a go...

Where do I get frontline spray??? also do i just let it dry with the lamps on or does it not matter???.... should i also spray that around the tank???

03/08/11  05:00am

Jm4372
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2208608

Burm With Mites

You should be able to get frontline at any vets. Its basically a flea and tick spray. Spray it wherever you want. Ive done the carpet and stuff around my enclosure in the room, not going to hurt anything, and anyone thats had a really bad mite problem knows they can get around and are hard to erradicate. If you try it let us know how it works for you.
While we are on the subject of mites.....I have never had another problem with mites since switching to only frozen feeders for all my snakes. I always felt I brought them home on the rats or mice. People will say different but thats what I always thought. didnt know where else they would come from. anyone else have an opinion on this??

03/08/11  06:13am

Henry & kathy
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2207778

Burm With Mites

you can try the rest but in my oppinion your just throwing your money away, everyone is saying for you to try this or to try that to take care of the mites but it seems to me the mites are not the problem.
what is cousing the problem are the eggs the mite leave behind after you have taken care of them . that is why you keep getting infested again and again there is no doubt in my mind that you are doing everything right by the cleaning but give it some thought these mites are laying eggs and hatching and once again the battle begins , i had mites once with a burm i got from a lazy fool that never took care of it ,, i went down to homedepot and got me some SEVEN DUST from the garden section it did its job on the mites and there eggs no more mites for ever, try it what can it hurt plus its cheaper then the rest of the so called temp cures.

04/25/11  02:02am

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Henry & kathy   In reference to Message Id: 2215828

Burm With Mites

I ended up bleaching the sh it out of the tank....lol... no more mites for me.... Isn’t it bad to use stuff that is like dust???

04/25/11  06:27pm

Henry & kathy
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2215933

Burm With Mites

not really as long as you do not leave it there for 1 day only allowing it to get into all the nooks and cracks of the cage then clean it very good the next day ...now if you are using it on your snake you leave it in a tub big enough for it to move around and leave your snake in there for only a couple hrs then remove your snake give it a warm bath and rinse all the dust of it, put it in a seprate cage or tank to allow the first cage to sit over night with the dust and you clean it the next day once again it is called SEVEN DUST 5% you can find it at home depot garden center it is not harmful to humans or animals just bugs . check it out sometime your in there , good luck with them mites

04/29/11  01:36am

Princess annibella
View Profile

Message To: Jm4372   In reference to Message Id: 2208458

Burm With Mites

All of the chemicals in mite spray are extemely dangerous to the snake even though its supposed to help, my burm had really bad mites and what I did. Was I took some olive oil and covered her completley in it and covered the bottom of the tank with olive oil . Ii let it sit for a while . I washed my burm about fifteen minutes after applying it on her and the mites literally were just falling off.they didn’t come back either I did another treatment just to be safe. It dosent harm the snake either. Just becareful not to get it in they’re eyes..

05/10/11  02:04pm

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area